• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Alpinfox

Emmons Glacier route condtions? Beta?

Anyone been up the Emmons glacier recently? I'm thinking of taking a newbie up. Is the route still pretty straightforward this late in the year? Any objective danger (rock/ice fall)? [Eek!]

Thanks Ya'll

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgement forbid as it may.

- John Muir

Conditions as of Sept3 were straight forward according to the route conditions report but that could have changed easily. I too am thinking of doing it in the next couple weeks with another . If you guys want to make it 4 let me know.

i've posted some info about the route conditions under the thread, "ski the emmons"...

if you're going with a novice, bring lots of ice screws and pickets... the route is in great shape, however it's VERY hard and icy. if you're not focused on the summit, you can probably have an excellent time playing in crevasses around emmons flats and on the corridor. lot's to do, very few (if any) people.

mike

btw, if you like ice climbing, there are HUGE ice walls in many of the crevasses and along the edge of the corridor. very cool looking!

Did I hear ICE? Where are my screws, I'm outa here....

Should I bring the dog and vest Mike? [Wink]

[ 09-27-2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: mr.radon ]

There really is very little snow on the route right now. Bare glacier ice is showing through everywhere.

I understand there was some kind of skiing accident last weekend on the Squak. Someone skiied into a crevasse.

Jason