• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for 3 wks of climbing, treking, and via ferrata. My wife and I had a blast. We did a long route at Falzarego Pass (10 pitches) something de Boca, that was nice and around 5.7-8, and several things at Cinque Torre, where there were moderate ways up several towers. I'd go back. Marmolada was the biggest peak in the region and looked like a great glacier climb/ski. We also ran up several via ferratas and that was a blast. I have two vf "kits" I'd be willing to sell if you're interested.

All of it was great - the food, the huts, the people. And rock and mountain culture was very interesting. We also did a week long hut-to-hut thing across the northern Dolomites - the moderators deleted my trip report by accident so I can't point you there for details. We went in July and that seemed perfect, many of the huts are only open for the summer. We topped it off with a week in Florence and Venice. The mountaineers carries a good rock climbing guide. Wish I were there now. I also found the WWI - WWII history in the mountains very interesting. They were up there in the winter trying to tunnel under one another and lopping artilery at each other.

The Ciserone guides for the VF were very useful as was the Lonely Planet guide for hiking across Italy. I'd be happy to answer specific questions. If you're interested in any guides I have a good suggestion for rock/alpine/skiing.

We started off our trip with a week in Arabba and stayed a place run by Brits and Aussies. So it was a bit odd to hear English (sort of) so much. But we met lots of fun folks there. Then we moved around for a week betweek Arraba and Canazie, just found pension type places for relatively cheap. We didn't stay in the huts around Cinque Torre, but they were popular. There were other climbers but it was not crowded at Cinque Torre.

You can reserve your place via the internet (which I did not know before going. A staff person at the place we stayed in Arabba made reservations for us 1 wk in advance of our week long trek. Otherwise we just stayed in the villages and traveled out for day climbs. We had a car for two of the weeks, which made the day trips easier and we didn't have to worry so much about catching the last bus back to town. I like the area around Falzarego (long climbs), but there was so much to explore that I did not get to. Basically we had a week of Via Feratta, one of climbing, and a week long trek. I can supply some more details after looking at my notes at home.

• 9 months later...