Mowitch face routes

dlando

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainier report here states that some folks were doing Mowich Face a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.nps.gov/mora/climb/climb_cd.htm

Also, Gator's guide puts the standard in-shape times for the route as May, June, July, and October. With the weather we've been having, shouldn't it be closer to October conditions than September - or is it just too friggin' warm? I might just be having a spout of denial and really hoping to squeeze it on before the end of the year.

How about this one: Has anyone in Cascade Climber land been up Mowich recently or during another melted out time in previous years? What does the route climb like in similar conditions (I assume much more scree to cross, rockfall, and circuitous glacier navigation).

we flew past the mowich face a few times yesterday... i'll have to agree with lowell, the climbing on the route looks TERRIBLE! there is VERY little snow and what ice there is, is covered in rock and debris.

i've climbed "mowich face" routes on a few occasions in the fall, usually october. at those times, they were in EXCELLENT shape. nice ice, cool temps, little snow to mess with. this year however is different. we've had a VERY dry summer and the mountain looks like a dirty snowball.

i suggest waiting for a few snow storms to make the route and your trip more appealing.

mike