Rule that does not make sense in MRNP!

Stefan

I am a dog owner and I believe that they should be left home unless its OK for them to be on that particular trail. I ALWAYS have my dogs on a leash. 99% of the time when running into other people's dogs they are unleashed and stupidly try to be aggressive with my dogs. I warn the people that their dog is in danger of my dog(s) and they are in danger of me if they don't come and get their precious FIDO. My dogs are expensive and I don't need vet bills.

Horses were and are part of the United States culture. Personally I think they are very stupid but they serve many purposes like Erik so nicely stated. Horses and mules have there place. Maybe Rainer NP is not the place for them as they probably were not part of the historical exploration of the park but there are other NP where they were a part of the initial exploration.

For my two cents I think most of the citizenry of the Greater Seattle Metro area are a bunch of fucking whiners that can't deal with life on life's own terms. Quit your fucking crying and scrape the shit off your shoe and take another step. If that does not please you stay inside and order out. [Moon]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please do the research before you bitch.

1. The lead climbing ranger has nothing to do with stock use in the park, talk to someone who does-- there are hundreds of backcountry rangers who can explain why dogs are not allowed.

2. Horses are only allowed on the Pacific Crest Trail,which is a decision that particular trail has made, and on the Laughingwater Creek trail from highway 123 to the PCT near Carlton Pass

3. There are hundreds of miles of hiking trail that no animals are allowed on dogs, horses, or other pack animals

4. The reason dogs are not allowed on backcountry trails are huge

a. Most dog owners do not practice minimum impact courtesies (picking up your dog shit), crap can contain undigested plants and seeds which are not native to the park-- park employees and voulenteers spend hundreds of hours extracting non-native plants from the park each year.

b. Many dogs have a natural tendency to "hunt" or "chase" things, therefore scarring wildlife whis is native to the park. An animal that lives in the park who is stressed out is not going to live a very normal live. Not reproducing the way it should, becoming either timid or aggressive when it is exposed to this non-native animal (or human) again.

The park service has a hard enough time containing thoes human folks who walk off trails and throw their trash in lakes, can you please be a little kind towards them in fixing that problem first. Once humans learn how to appreciate the beauty, maybe there will be room for RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS to use the park. If you ever question their reasoning again please take some time and ask. The rangers at MRNP are the nicest park employees around and are always willing to share information, please ask them yourself before getting into a bitch session over what is better a horse or a dog--

edgar....

i would say horeses shit contains more seed and other evasive species...more so then dog shit does.....if the dog is eating well...it is prolly shitting out horse!!!!

i say we just eat dogs and horses and keep te humans out of the backcountry....that way assholes like myself will be able to enjoy the wilderness free from pesky normal people.....

horses are for the unintianed lazy fat people.....i think the horse owners and their stock should share responsibilites.....human gets to ride the horse half way, then they swap....

quote:

Originally posted by Edgar:

Can you please do the research before you bitch.

b. Many dogs have a natural tendency to "hunt" or "chase" things, therefore scarring wildlife whis is native to the park. An animal that lives in the park who is stressed out is not going to live a very normal live. Not reproducing the way it should, becoming either timid or aggressive when it is exposed to this non-native animal (or human) again.

Far be it from me to fan the flames *heh* but it's my vague understanding that most of the animals in the park, as well as elsewhere, evolved in a predator-prey relationship. We killed off the wolves, the grizzlys, most of the other predators, and then banned hunting, so the animals end up being UNNATURALLY courious and unafraid.

Of course that's good if, like me, you're interested in photographing them, or just seeing the big herd of mtn. goats around Summerland. And it infuriates me as much as it probably does you to see dogs running around chasing wildlife, dumping on the trail, getting into my food, intimidating people...

But to imply that the park was this beautific Eden where the lion and lamb lay down together up until the white man brought his pet dogs along, is just silly.

Originally posted by Edgar:

[QB]Can you please do the research before you bitch.

Edgar,

what's going on with you guys? I mean early in the season you were at least 10 games up on Anaheim, and now look.....you guys are losin' it big time! Eight games out of the wild card race! You should be ashamed even drawing a paycheck. And don't even get me started on the DH position. If this were the National League, you wouldn't even have a job!