Rule that does not make sense in MRNP!

Stefan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, llamas don't really make great horsecock, damned things are too lean. You have to add oil to ground llama to get it to fry. Fabulous protein content though. The replacement of the llama by the pickup truck has had some dietary repercussions in rural areas of Peru and such. When your truck breaks down, you can't eat it (unless you're one of those folks trying for some Guiness Book record).

DONT FORGET PEOPLE WITH OUT HORSES...WHAT WOULD SMALL CHILDEN EAT DURING THOSE SCIENCES MOVIES IN ELEMENTARY SKOOL(THINK ELMERS GLU)?? WHAT WOULD DOGS EAT?? HORSES ARE VERY VERY WONDERFUL ANIMALS, COVERING MANY FOOD GROUPS AND FEEDING ALL THE LITTLE GUYS!!! HOW WOULD DANDELIONS AND OTHER INVASIVE WEED SPECIES GET SPREAD INTO OUR WILDERNESS AREAS?

CHEERS TO HORSE JERKY!

I WONDER IF A HORSE PERSON WILL COME ON HERE AND TELL US HOW IT IS?

Do what I do.

I have a "Seeing Eye Dog In Training" vest and go wherever I like.

I've used this several times inside the park, by law they have to treat you as a handicapped person and therefore due to the American's w/ Disabilites act you can go wherever you please with'em. [Cool]

BTW: My sister is a vet so this was an easy item to aquire.

[ 09-05-2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: mr.radon ]

I have a small horse, her daily output fills one 5 gallon bucket. It's mostly just partially digested grass and not that offensive. Way less offensive than dog shit. Regardless of species the problem with animals almost always comes down to irresponsible and selfish, un-conscientious owners. Ban the owners [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by mr.radon:

Do what I do.

I have a
"Seeing Eye Dog In Training"
vest and go wherever I like.

I've used this several times inside the park, by law they have to treat you as a handicapped person and therefore due to the American's w/ Disabilites act you can go wherever you please with'em.
[Cool]

BTW: My sister is a vet so this was an easy item to aquire.

Hopefully you're trolling for dog dislikers here, because that is a totally bullshit thing to do.

No, just a guy that likes to bend the rules to suit himself. I think the no dog rule in MRNP and some of the backcountry areas (Mount Stuart) are crap.

My dog's a pretty well trained pack dog. Doesn't chase stuff, hardly ever barks in the wild. I pick up and haul the poo away too.

The MRNP rule is there for the ignorant 99% of dog owners who don't care what their dogs do.

If someone's got a problem with that, tuff.

Do like we did and get a real Guide dog in training. That way the vest is legit. Of course you actually have to train the dog. Guide Dogs For the Blind is always looking for puppy raisers. check out http://www.guidedogs.com

For the record, we don't take our guide dog into the MRNP when we hike. (we might take him if we were just kicking around Paradise).

hey radon, i'm sure people with disabilities really appreciate the fact that you're mocking them so that you can get your beast in the backcountry. and what a way to honor our vets. though there is a bit truth to your jest (ie, service dogs are allowed in the backcountry), i would say that you're not entirely accurate. you could be ticketed regardless of a dog vest. the magistrate will ask you to PROVE that you're a qualified dog handler/instructor. a vest on a dog just isn't enough if someone smells bull shit. and i don't think they'll take kindly to people who abuse that system.

while you're at it, you can also make a fake handicap sticker to hang in your car window. then you park wherever you like. or perhaps, you act like your pregnant to get the "expecting mothers" parking slots. [Razz]

regarding dogs on leashes, even in the winter... they still bark, and they still scare a lot of people. let's let the lamas roam free, they spit on humans, scare horses, and stomp dogs... and when you're sick of the animal, you can make them into HC...

hey estivate, you have my vote...

quote:

while you're at it, you can also make a fake handicap sticker to hang in your car window. then you park wherever you like. or perhaps, you act like your pregnant to get the "expecting mothers" parking slots.

Man that is low. I wouldn't do something to imposition a handicaped person. I'm only bending a rule. Like no one has ever exceeded the posted speed limit! Right....

Bringing well behaved dogs into the backcountry is a benifit. The more people see well behaved dogs, the better their reputation becomes. After watching what some parents let their kids do on trail, I think they need a leash law for them, but no they're humans. "I'm kidding"

And we all know about the people pooing on the DC route. Ain't that against the rules? How many people get ticketed for wildcat craping? That was so nice to see, I'll never use the DC as a descent route again.

I'm just kinda jerking the anti-dog crowd out there. I have looked into training a dog once, but I'm too busy, maybe when I slow down. I haven't done this trick in years, but if I ever hike back into Stuart I will do it again.

And about a ticket, your Ranger buddies never asked. Kinda mean to shake down all the handicaped people just to find me. Just kidding

quote:

Originally posted by mr.radon:

I have a
"Seeing Eye Dog In Training"
vest and go wherever I like.

I've used this several times inside the park, by law they have to treat you as a handicapped person and therefore due to the American's w/ Disabilites act you can go wherever you please with'em.

Looks like you're qualified for a morally handicapped parking space...

[hell no]

I'm a dog person, of course, but there are some places pups should not be taken, and they do tend to make wildlife, well stay wild. My mutts when taken camping usually bark the whole fuckign night at every single sound, so I dont' take them.

Anyhow, as much as I hate horse shit, and have had some VERY Bad experiences/user conflict with pack trains, i believe horses/mules have a key place in the wilderness setting.

To me, this is a classic scenario of a handful of users (in this case horse people) screwing up the image of the rest. Case in point, during the brokentop SAR efforts we utilized a mule team 2x, and a horse to rescue a large injured climber from south sister (GOOD SIDE of horses) and then got back to the trail head, and this pack of horse ridin gals let their critters shat all over the TH parking lot and left it [Mad]

This is much like a few wankin climbers messing up access to crags by not behaving so to speak.

So, my opinion, they are a necessary evil.

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

I have a small horse, her daily output fills one 5 gallon bucket. It's mostly just partially digested grass and not that offensive. Way less offensive than dog shit. Regardless of species the problem with animals almost always comes down to irresponsible and selfish, un-conscientious owners. Ban the owners
[Razz]

I'm with Fern on this. Horeses are wonderful animals. They are also "prey" animals, so by and large they are quiet and fairly unobtrusive. it does not pay for a herd animal to anounces it's where abouts, if you know what I mean.I don't see why animals should be kept out of the woods/mountains at all, but I think fines for having no leash or leaving "droppings" should be mind blowing. [big Grin]

This is RURP:

I have never had horse crap stick to my shoes and make my car stink and my life miserable like that dog stuff. Ever had dog crap stuck to your shoe?

That is a reason enough for me not to own one. And then the dog owners take their precious children on a walk so they crap on other people's lawn so they can step in it. Horse-crap: it's a bunch of lawn-trimmings, grass and such and is a heck of a lot easier to be around that a BIG STEAMING PILE OF STINKING DOG-DOO!!!!

- RURP has spoken.

When I'm hiking out of the backcountry after a long climb and my LaSportiva K2's are pounding down the dry hard trail with no swampy mud holes to be found, there's nothing like steppin' into some nice soft horsey poo. Oh yeah! Just like steppin' in soft butter. It makes my feet sing. I'll go out of my way to find it, and it's best when it is not too fresh and runny, yet not too old and hard.

Horses are OK with me. I think dogs should be ok in a NP within x miles of a trailhead, but maybe not in the deeper backcountry.

Originally posted by estivate:

[QB]Regarding horses on trails, you are fighting against tradition. Sitting tall in the saddle, Marlboro Man, Ronald Reagan, herding bovines, all that shit. It may be a stupid, annoying anachronistic tradition perpetuated by blockheads who seem to go out of their way to do things the high-impact way, but we're stuck with it.

Well estivate,

Since you're freely throwing (baseless) steroetypes at horse owners, let's aire some similar suspicions one could deduce about YOU based upon your arrogant, pointy-headed intellectual-feminized Seattle male- Subaru driving-knee jerk-tree hugging statements above.

[ 09-09-2002, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

I asked a ranger about this once and he stated that dogs serve as carriers for some viruses that could be harmful to animals native to the park. I didn't buy this at all so I asked my veterinarian who said this was true. Not clear if policy has anthing to do with this.