[TR] Rainier- Fuhrer Finger Climb and Descent 6/24/2006

DirtyHarry

Climb: Rainier-Fuhrer Finger Climb and Descent

Date of Climb: 6/24/2006

Trip Report:

Kat and I left Paradise at 5:30 pm on Friday and skinned and hiked up to a camp around 9,000 ft by nine. Snow was nice and firm and temps cool once we got on the Nisqually and we were in the shade.

Kat was feeling worn down from a road trip to Yos and extreme lack of sleep for the past few days, so she elected to sleep. I woke and melted water around 3:00 and left camp by a quarter to 4:00 am. Hiked up the Finger in 'poons, then stayed climbers' left of the Upper Nisqually (Sky's beta) and up to the broad summit slopes. Went up real fast and was feeling like shit so the last 800 feet or so went slow. Then I went down to about 13,000 and chilled / napped for about an hour waiting for shit to soften.

Then I skiied down the upper Nisqually which was way fun obstacle course crevassiers skiing and into the finger which was steep smooth corn on skiier's right Yee Haw!!! Four thousand feet of good turns. Got back to camp and chilled for a bit in the sun, then Kat and I had another 3500 feet of fun corn turns back to the Nisqually, which I thought was just a blast on steep rollovers, rock bands, and skiing past crevices. Cool.

Then I hung out on a rock while Kat hiked up to below Pan Point and skiied down to the Nisqually. Back at the truck by two with all the tourons in the parking lot and it was hot!! so we drank Pacifico with lime and gaped at the gapers. Fun times.

Gear Notes:

Tele gear, aluminum cramps, third tool used once.

No pics 'cause Kat's camers was munched by a bear in Yos.

Approach Notes:

No 'schwacking!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. With those weather and conditions it would be hard not to make it up. I was happy with Liberty Cap; I let Jens run up and tag the true summit while I napped in the sun. Couldn't believe how calm and nice it was that high; I didn't even pull out the puffy jacket.

Lots of stuff was falling off Willis Wall and Ptarmigan Ridge and we saw a massive avy thundering down Thermogenesis on Saturday evening; that was cool.