Non-climbing Injuries are soooo Dumb!

luwayo

i forgot how to pedal my mtn. bike, and did the most slow-motion-keel-over on to my knee.

it took further pedaling/pushing, au chevalling, bushwacking, a mile of EG, descent, and 2xtra strgth. Tylenol before i acknowledged what an idiot i am.

i am a gimp this week cry.gif

non-climbing accidents seem so........(je ne sais pas).

can you relate?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fits the category of dumb non-climbing accidents: a friend of mine and I were walking out of a bar in Mukilteo. There was a slight slope from the doorway to the sidewalk. She didn't notice, fell, and broke her arm. cantfocus.gif

I had to drive her to the ER at, like, 1:00 in the morning. And miss last call. cry.gif

pardon my $%&8#)^ french tongue.gif

it's the best one can do, after busting a knee - short circuits the language centre.

those stair & golfing gaffes elicited some chuckles.

please, continue to help me laugh at your expense. grin.gif

...while i rack my brain for any more previous injury causing episodes of non-climbing buffoonery.

Is this a climbing or non-climbing injury?

A certain person I live with was excited to get a little boulder session in one evening, jumped up to hang and pull up on the 7.5 foot high door trim, started to pull up, peeled, broke three ribs on the hardwood floor.

I bet that made quite a thud man.

Is this a climbing or non-climbing injury?

A certain person I live with was excited to get a little boulder session in one evening, jumped up to hang and pull up on the 7.5 foot high door trim, started to pull up, peeled, broke three ribs on the hardwood floor.

Any type of injury is dumb. By far though I have been injured more often mountain biking and downhilling. To many to count contusions that were severe enough that I could not sit or apply pressure (by severe I mean bigger than 12X12 inches in area), blown out knee, fractured vertabrea, should had stitches for a gouged out cut that oozed for months (gotta love not having insurance), and couple of time whacking the nuts real hard not landing right. Luckily I have never gotten my nuts slammed between the seat and rear tire while landing off a big jump, friends of mine have, poor bastards.

The only other injuries that I have had not climbing are tore both hamstrings in terrain park and strain back lift a 50lb bag of onions while turning.

Injuries just suck. I have definitely been much safer these days since my soul is no longer uncaged, and I really don't want to find out really how bad the health care is here. Plus I think I am getting older.

Hmm, dumb accidents.

I rode up to a friend, stopped, got off my bike, forgot to put the kickstand down. I still had my left hand on the handlebar when I realized the bike was falling over---away from me. Reflexively, I leaned forward and jerked the bike back up toward me. That bike was 156 lbs dry weight; I don't know how much it weighed with its fluids, but the fucker was heavy.

I do know that my back and legs hurt for a couple of weeks after that stupid move.

kenford, jeez! you've had your share of being busted up good. but since i don't go to confession any more, i just needed to share, in an appropriate whiny tone, my personal dumbness, eneptness, etc. damn, i'm still trying to think of a perfect word or expression (other than dumb) to describe how unheroic & inconvenient it is to put myself outta the game when this happens.

arch, get this - did almost the same thing, couple days ago. 'cept, somebody caught the rear of my bike before i keeled. blush.gif

but i couldn't outrun the karma, and my rig slid out on dusty gravel, after a superb 45km ride, 2 minutes from the van! doh! just some minor bruising & logging road rash.

Today I was at Little Si toproping some routes for a buddy new to climbing, but I wasn't on the rock when the injury occurred. The strap in my harness leg loop got wedged in the buckle funny and i was pushing firmly with my thumb to loosen it when I heard a riiiiip and and a meaty pop. Turns out this innocent little act tore a bunch of ligaments in my thumb and now I am sooooo pissed cuz I can't climb for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Can't play golf either, for that matter. frown.gifmadgo_ron.gif

• 4 weeks later...