Plastic boot suggestions

Jim

Need a good all around plastic for things like Rainer, an upcoming trip to Bolivia, and occassional ice. My 15 yr old Kolflaches went in the waste bin recently. I'm considering the Lowa Civetta at ProMountain. Others? Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Civetta Extremes, and I have enjoyed them. However, I have noticed that the narrow width does not accept various step-in crampons (at least on my size 14). I currently use strap-on G-12's, and they work well. Be sure to match the boots with your spikes before you buy.

I've had good luck with the fit of the Scarpa Alpha's, especially with a decent footbed inside, but they have started to come apart at the rand (I've had 3 good years use out of them). The Scarpa Omegas are nearly identical fit-wise. No problems with crampons, and they seem to climb rock pretty well. I've tried the Civetta's and didn't have enough room in the toe box for comfort in cold weather. The Vasque 9000's just rubbed my foot on a bone spur I have and were agony as soon as I put them on, but looked like a good option overall if they fit your foot. Marmot in Bellevue seemed to have the best selection when I was looking into this exact same thing a few months ago.

Did the old Koflachs fit? Could always go with them again...

bigdrink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I still have my old white ones...the plastic is paper thin, and it's impossible to get a clip-on crampon on them. However, they are the lightest of all my plastics and I still use them on occassion, so if they're old...they might be lighter than what's currently available.

tnc