where could i find an industrial sewing machine?

gavastik

So I have a silly project: making my own Russian aiders. There's a description here of how to do it, as you might know: http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?id=115

So I need to use an industrial-strength sewing machine to do some bartacks on some flat webbing... Does anyone know where I could do that? I can pay a not-too-large use fee if required. I'm in Redmond, btw.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't want an industrial sewing machine. You want a bartacker. I'm not sure anybody would let you just use one, they cost a bit. A good industrial sewing machine goes for about $1k complete, but a good bartacker is about $4k. I'd let you come over and let you watch while I did your assembly on my machine, but the plane ticket to NYC would make it extremely ridiculous.

Are you sure you want to make your own? You might be able to just call Yates and get them to make you a pair...

I've been working on this for a while. You don't need a bartacker, although it would do the job better. You can use a regular machine with sturdy polyester thread. Use a zig-zag stitch with a very short stitch length. You wil need to waste some webbing to work out the proper stitch length and thread tension, but it should work. Thinner needles seem to work better. Make sure you start and finish a seam by going backwards. This will lock in the stitching.

I thought that I would need a heavy duty machine too. The weave of the webbing is really loose, so the needle slides through fairly easily.

Where are you getting hooks?

Yep, I almost ruined my sewing machine that way, but it will work for a bit. I hear it's better if you have an old gear driven machine, and sometimes youcan pickthose up for cheap. I was able to sew something that looked a lotlike a bar tack using the same method as fenderfour. My stitching tests held decent bounce tests, so would be strong enough for your aiders. Just try not to sew too many layers and don't use yer mom's machine in case you blow it up.

Sometimes you can find a used industrial machine on craigs list or ebay for ~$300 too which would be better, still too much for my tiny projects though (and small apartment).

Where are you getting hooks?

In Russia smile.gif. When my parents went back to St Petersburg last time, I requested a pair of aiders from an outdoors store there, but all they brought back were a pair of titanium hooks. smile.gif So now I need to make everything that goes around the hooks myself.

Thanks for the tips everyone.