Athelstan Approach/climb info

bstach

Thinking of climbing Moonraker this weekend or next. Wondering what the road condition is like (Don Serl indicated in a June 2004 trip report that the lower road was in bad condition and wouldn't last the season w/o maintenance...is this road being maintained?)

Also, if anyone can comment on the route conditions (clear of snow etc.) that would be fantastic (pardon the pun).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the beta...sounds like the road is 2wd accessable at least as far as Salal Creek road. Good to know as Alpine Select suggests otherwise.

Also sounds like a recent Backroads Mapbook would be in order.

Anybody know if the road is 2wd accessable all the way to the trailhead?

Borrow for peace of mind. The road should be in good shape as far as the left fork to the bridge and pumice mine. From there it's 2 hours of hiking with no 4wd if crossditched, or 10 minutes of driving with 4wd. So you save yourself 4 hours on the weekend with 4wd.

Also sounds like a recent Backroads Mapbook would be in order.

COnsider those piece of shit guides as a whimsical possibility. They're full of errors for roads that are 10 years old - I wouldn't expect accuracy for the maze of roads that have gone in at Salal in the past 5 years ...

Hey,

I was up there last May & managed to get a 2wd Econoline Van up to the trailhead. Its a bit rough for a car, but any fullsize truck or van should make it.

The turn off to the right is at the top of a hill,(very vauge, I know), if you go down the hill and reach a bridge, you've gone too far. I'll have a hunt about for a picture of the turn off for you.

there have been more spurs put in since A/S was published, so the guide description is misleading. however, the photo gives the general idea of where u need to go, so follow your nose. the most updated road description available that I'm aware of is on bivouac.com (altho it's rather confusing):

http://www.bivouac.com/RoadPg.asp?RoadId=1355

u need to be a member to access the info.

Andrew Wong reported 2WD to end in Sept 2005.

good luck...

cheers, don

I tried the approach this time last year. The road was easily drivable in a Lesbaru. Take the turnoff to the right at the top of the big hill. There is a little stick sign that says something like S - 25. As mentioned, they've added more logging roads, so the description is a little off in Alpine Select. Don't take the first left. (this road is shown in picture on pgs 70-71 of AS as the one parallel of the correct road). Then keep left at two forks and right at the next. After 4.2 km, stop at the wide spot in the road at the beginning of another clearcut. The logging road now continues from there.

I have no clue how to reach the bivy site, though. We headed straight into the forest from there, but got caught in wet slide alder hell on a socked in day, so we bailed as we couldn't see anything. Rumor has it that there is a faint trail a couple hundred yards back down the road, but we didn't find it.

Have fun.