• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Gary_Yngve

Digital Photo Tips

Better to save them large in your camera and keep the originals on your computer, and save a copy in smaller resolution for uploading to CC.com.

Is anyone using UV and polarizing filters for their digital photography, and does anyone know which if any of the new tiny digital cameras will take a filter adaptor and filters?

On a digi SLR I use a UV always to protect the front element and a circular polarizer when the light is right for it.

I don't know about filters on P&S cameras; my P&S has no provision for such.

Photoshop has a number of filter effects with which I have very little experience.

The larger Olympus (non-SLR) cameras appear filter-capable. But I wanted a 4 oz. one! cry.gif

ps. Photoshop CANNOT EVEN STEP to a polarizing filter pitty.gif

I feel your pain, having just got off a 5 day trip with about 6 pounds of camera stuff. Many were the moments that a couple of cans of Fosters would have been more welcome.

I've seen Polarizer tricks/workarounds for Photoshop published but have never horsed around with them myself.

I think it's often the case that desired information is just not recorded in the absence of a polarizing filter. Details and colors are lost and there's no way to get them back, no matter how you adjust what is remaining.

UV filters aren't as important for digicams as film because the CCD is less responsive to UV than film is.

Regarding polarizers:

For making the sky bluer, a split filter works pretty well. But nothing can compare the power of a polarizer for knocking glare off of water, etc. Those cannot be done digitally.

All of the P&Ses that I know of have light meters that are not integrated directly with the lens, so putting a polarizer on the lens would cause the image to be underexposed.