Digital Photo Tips

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a digi SLR I use a UV always to protect the front element and a circular polarizer when the light is right for it.

I don't know about filters on P&S cameras; my P&S has no provision for such.

Photoshop has a number of filter effects with which I have very little experience.

I feel your pain, having just got off a 5 day trip with about 6 pounds of camera stuff. Many were the moments that a couple of cans of Fosters would have been more welcome.

I've seen Polarizer tricks/workarounds for Photoshop published but have never horsed around with them myself.

UV filters aren't as important for digicams as film because the CCD is less responsive to UV than film is.

Regarding polarizers:

For making the sky bluer, a split filter works pretty well. But nothing can compare the power of a polarizer for knocking glare off of water, etc. Those cannot be done digitally.

All of the P&Ses that I know of have light meters that are not integrated directly with the lens, so putting a polarizer on the lens would cause the image to be underexposed.

• 1 month later...