bivying/soloing shasta?

plark42

Hey CC'ers..

I am thinking of soloing shasta this weekend.. (Drive up friday night.. sleep in the car.. hike up to the lake helen camp and set up a bivy on saturday.. and summit sunday morning and drive back)..

Has anyone out there soloed/bivyed shasta? (I am assuming that there are so many people up there that it would be hardly a solo)..

i have a p.o.s. mountain hardwear bivy sack that's basically a gore-tex shell.. is that enough? I am guessing shasta gets a wee bit cold at night up there..

any suggestions? I guess I could just do it all in a day...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey CC'ers..

I am thinking of soloing shasta this weekend.. (Drive up friday night.. sleep in the car.. hike up to the lake helen camp and set up a bivy on saturday.. and summit sunday morning and drive back)..

Has anyone out there soloed/bivyed shasta? (I am assuming that there are so many people up there that it would be hardly a solo)..

i have a p.o.s. mountain hardwear bivy sack that's basically a gore-tex shell.. is that enough? I am guessing shasta gets a wee bit cold at night up there..

any suggestions? I guess I could just do it all in a day...

go up and down within eye/ear shot of other parties in case you slip and fall, or get nailed with rock/icefall

otherwise, should be no problem

Yeah, your whole plan is fine. The weather looks clear and warm and you'll be fine in a bivy sac. If you're up there early Saturday you can nab a walled bivy site or find some recent snow walls. This is the solstice, and there will be loads of people camped at Helen Lake and you will have no problem being near others on the climb (probably can't avoid it). You may even meet some folks at Helen that you want to climb with the next day. Have a good time!

mark,

just do it in a day. wake up at like 11pm in the parking lot, and start hiking. pack light. it's only 6,000ft elevation gain. Then just glissade down the whole mountain. well after lake helen it isn't very steep. So you could bring the skiis.

P.S. I am pretty sure I'll be driving up to seattle from LA in early or mid august and will be up for a shasta climb with you. I'll send you an email when I know for sure when I'm heading up there.

mark,

just do it in a day. wake up at like 11pm in the parking lot, and start hiking. pack light. it's only 6,000ft elevation gain. Then just glissade down the whole mountain. well after lake helen it isn't very steep. So you could bring the skiis.

P.S. I am pretty sure I'll be driving up to seattle from LA in early or mid august and will be up for a shasta climb with you. I'll send you an email when I know for sure when I'm heading up there.

it's just over 7200 feet elevation gain

it's just over 7200 feet elevation gain

That's more like it. We did a C2C from BF in 11 hours a couple of years ago. We took skis, but left them at LH because AG was horribly suncupped. I carried my skis out, but my buddies boarded for about 1000' below LH on shitty snow out of principle. I never liked principals. wink.gif

It's a hump. So just pay attention to the weather, and make friends on the way up. bigdrink.gif

hey thatcher-

unfortunately I'll be in KNOXVILLE, TN starting at the end of July (for the next four years..) I think I told you that Ashley got into vet school there.. so we're packing up and moving out there on July 20th..

It's too bad that we can't meet up and do shasta b4 that.. I was really looking forward to it...

shmo well.. such is life i guess.. unless you wanted to grab a cheap southwest flight to sac town!?!!? hahah.. I'll pay for gas to shasta and back!!! hee hee..

I'll see how I'm doing on thursday.. I may just pack up my bag to leave work on friday and drive up there.. I would much rather do it in 2 days rather than one.. coming from sea level and all... it would be nice to sleep at the trailhead at 9000 ft or whatever.. and then again at 11000 or whatever...

wuhoo!!

yeah two days is better than one for sure. Would you consider doing it the following weekend, aka the 1st,2nd or 3rd? This weekend I am busy. I'm a little out of shape now, but will be more in shape by that weekend...and im determined to summit that dang mountain after being caught in a storm last thanksgiving on the mountain. So I won't be defeated this time.

Anyways, let me know if you are up to it for like the 2nd and 3rd or something like that.

Sorry Thatcher... I am going home to Houston from July 1st through the 9th.. D'OH!!!! and then after that.. we have to start packing to move to knoxville starting July 15th (my last day of work is the 14th).. and we move on the 20th..

Damn it!! Perhaps we'll climb together when Ashley and I move back up to the NW after she's done with Vet school!!! (You plan on moving back to the NW when you're done with school?)... perhaps I could make a visit sometime to the NW to climb one summer.. that would be super fun..

I am still thinking about soloing shasta.. i haven't quite decided what I'm going to do.. This is the LAST weekend I have to climb any snow for many years.. so I might as well suck it up and make the 9 hour.. round trip drive..

take care!!