Kurt injured?

archenemy

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see him he doesn't seem to understand that he's hurt, he's just obsessed with getting the hell out of the hospital. When I walked in last night there were two nurses trying to keep him in his wheelchair, and when I arrived, they were like, "oh, cool, we can just leave you with him." Spent a great deal of time rebuckling the straps and trying to put the wrist restraint he'd snaked out of back on. His plan was clear: we were going to leave and go get drunk. I'm sure it's a good sign that he's so eager to go and still strong enough that it's a lot of work to prevent him from doing so, but it sure is exhausting. Great to see him coming back though.

We had a trying half hour or so when I tried to give him a shave. Hey, it looked so easy when I saw one of the nurses do it. crazy.gif

He was a big handful today. More improvement, and he's remembering everyone's name. Lots of visitors, I think he will be all worn out and will sleep like a baby tonight. I second the business about him being exhausting. wazzup.gif

Spent some good time with the K tonight. Not having seen him in previous days, I have to say I was impressed and encouraged thumbs_up.gif He knew my name and could tell me about various cc.com personalities grin.gif

He sure wants to make a break for it a la "One flew Over the Kukoos Nest" - offering me $10 if I could smuggle him out to go get drunk bigdrink.gif

You got some good friends rooting for ya Kurtrockband.gif

Everybody be careful - it's long weekend both sides of the line cool.gif

Good day today. Kurt had a rough morning from what I hear, but by afternoon he was in excellent spirits. He was very funny, and memory was good. They have had to keep him restrained until today, and he's a lot more comfortable now. He just has a little seatbelt now to keep him from unscheduled wandering.

We tried shaving again today. He did it himself, and he did a little better job than when I did it, though without a mirror he missed a few spots.

He gave me a ration of shit about how I needed to treat him with 'respect' and how he was going to teach me about that, *snerk* and said 'exactly' a lot, a classic Kurtism. He was damn funny, and we both had fun.

It was just the two of us for a couple of hours. Jack came by and shot some video for our amusement, and Vern and Priscilla were being entertained by Kurt when I took off. His sister is flying down from Alaska today, I'm sure Kurt's going to be thrilled to see her.

He is eating pureed things and thickened juice. If he sees you with a water bottle, he's going to try and convince you to give him some. Do not be talked into it, he can choke on water. He gets his water through an IV for the time being. Also, be sure to sign in on the 'Kurt's visitors' notebook, it's a great way for other visitors to see progress and know how much visitation he's had for the day. If he gets irritable, it usually means he needs to take a nap.

Kurt was pretty hard to deal with today. Tomorrow will be a better day.

He was moved to another floor today, so check at the information desk on the first floor of the west wing of the hospital. He seems to always have a rough day after they move him. Tomorrow is bound to be better.

Kurt was pretty irritable again today, though his neurology team says that is pretty standard fare for a person with a bad head injury. He's on the defiant side of things, and is not inclined to believe a lot. There is a dark cloud in his head, unusual for a guy who typically has such a bright outlook on life. I told him I'd been visiting every day, and he refused to believe it. He's a crazy guy!

He is able to drink water now. He needs to use a straw and drink sllooowly. Good luck with that last part. Be sure he's sitting up. Other info on eating and drinking are on the wall on a yellow paper behind the bed.

Kurt was pretty irritable again today, though his neurology team says that is pretty standard fare for a person with a bad head injury. He's on the defiant side of things, and is not inclined to believe a lot. There is a dark cloud in his head, unusual for a guy who typically has such a bright outlook on life. I told him I'd been visiting every day, and he refused to believe it. He's a crazy guy!

He is able to drink water now. He needs to use a straw and drink sllooowly. Good luck with that last part. Be sure he's sitting up. Other info on eating and drinking are on the wall on a yellow paper behind the bed.

As the recipient of a severe head injury, (unconcious and couldn't remember how to talk, lost lots of memory) I can say that although the middle of the process looks iffy and scary, the end result can (said CAN ) sometimes be better that before.

So, gook luck Kurt, hang in there and relax about it, it really gets better.

i promise i will read this whole thred. but sno just IMed me and told me what was going on. I haven't been arround in a while.

Much love to you Kurt!!! get better. heal well. you will be in my prayers.

HUGS

Shelly

Kurt's hanging in there. His brain swelling is way down, but he's still pretty grouchy.

At the request of his parents, if he doesn't seem to be enjoying your visit, you should leave. Keep visits short, use common sense.

Tomorrow is another day.....

Thanks for the updates ML. I sure hope he is out by the time I arrive back in Seattle, it sounds like he is getting better quite for the type of injury he had. Good luck on your recovery Kurt, hope to see you in the pub instead of the hospital when I show up.

bigdrink.gif

Yesterday and today, Kurt showed marked improvement. Today he was downright chipper! (pun intended) He's watching a lot of TV and visiting and cracking jokes. His mom tells me that it will help his brain rewire if he interacts with people from all facets of his life, so if you've thought of visiting, maybe it's time.

Short visits are still the order of the day, and he is most comfortable with only one or two people at once, otherwise he can easily get overloaded.

He still has a huge long way to go, but he is making some really impressive progress. Go Kurt!! fruit.gif