Kurt injured?

archenemy

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see Kurt today. He was lucid and cantakerous (same as normal). He has some bitchin' scars and his head is kind of potato shaped. We talked about climbing and blowing things up. His helmet is kind of silly. Its a kayaking helmet and he'd be better of with a ski helmet. We talked about how even though the hospital does not provide beer, guests can smuggle beer in. Hint hint. bigdrink.gif

I went to see Kurt today. He was lucid and cantakerous (same as normal). He has some bitchin' scars and his head is kind of potato shaped. We talked about climbing and blowing things up. His helmet is kind of silly. Its a kayaking helmet and he'd be better of with a ski helmet. We talked about how even though the hospital does not provide beer, guests can smuggle beer in. Hint hint. bigdrink.gif

YOU RULE bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif I am so glad to hear Kurt is doing well!!! he is in my toughts everyday.

I have not been in to see Kurt since Thursday, but I've spoken with a few people who have, including both his dad and Mark today. From what I have gathered, he is very up and down right now. Anywhere from good old Kurt to a crabby rambly guy with a head injury. He still seems to be going through the transitional phase that started with a three day bad mood last weekend. At the request of his family, continue to keep visits brief and positive. I hope to see him tomorrow for a few minutes and will try to share more after that.

He is progressing, by all accounts, but he is still at least partly in a difficult phase. If you are able to contribute financially, please put a few bucks in his trust fund, he's going to need help with the bills. Recovery, from what I have learned, with head trauma patients, takes time, and in the best of scenarios even, it's pretty considerable. Kurt is self-employed and single, so he will really need our help.

On a personal note, I must say that I have been really touched by the emails and calls I have received from his friends. Thank you. I have passed on your kind words to his parents and sister, and they really appreciate it. They are holding up pretty heroically through this. I've also been able to share your sentiments with Kurt. One example was that Muffy contacted me expressing her concern and support. I passed it on to Kurt and he was tickled to hear that she cared enough to do so. Stuff like that is good for him to hear, especially since we can't all visit right now. I love being able to pass it on to him, and it Kurt is genuinely happy to know how much we all care.

Forgive me for being overly sappy, he can use all the love and good vibes he can get. Go Kurt!!

Allison

I've had a couple of very brief visits with Kurt lately. He has not been 'perky', but he has been quite lucid. Kinda subdued, but his memory is getting better, even with some of the short term stuff.

I wish I had more to report, but he seems to be stabilizing, at least to my eyes, and that's a good thing. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks guys, this is heartening. For whatever reason, he knows I can't break him out, so sometimes I think I see the somber side a bit more. He is definitely way more lucid than ever though.

You cheer me up. laugh.gif

PS. Mark that is huge news. I didn't ask him that exact question today, but that is one of the big milestones right now.

Kurt's mom called me today. He will be starting rehab today or tomorrow. He will still be in the hospital, but they will having re-learning to do things. I don't really know what all of this means yet, but it's a big step.

EDIT: They moved him into another room today. His rehab schedule is posted on the whiteboard, looks like he will be pretty busy during the day.

Kurt is funny and smart, and has a good understanding of what has happened to him. He understands the importance of his safety measures, and the reasons why. There are ample reasons to believe that a 100% recovery is possible, something that I was pessimistic about just a week ago.

Kurt is funny and smart, and has a good understanding of what has happened to him. He understands the importance of his safety measures, and the reasons why. There are ample reasons to believe that a 100% recovery is possible, something that I was pessimistic about just a week ago.
thumbs_up.gif

Kurt's mom called me today. He will be starting rehab today or tomorrow. He will still be in the hospital, but they will having re-learning to do things. I don't really know what all of this means yet, but it's a big step.

They moved him into another room today. His rehab schedule is posted on the whiteboard, looks like he will be pretty busy during the day.

Anymore updates? Whom do we contact to visit him? Is he still accepting vistors?

I went on a couple ski trips with Kurt, along with backcountry skiing day trips, with Roger, Eric, and John a couple years back, and lost contact since he bought his house, I know Mickey through him as well. I read this, and I am a bit of a shock. He is one of the most understated unassuming guys that I know, given his knowledge and outdoor experience.

I hope he is well enought to ski Silver King in the upcoming season..

I really wish him a full and speedy recovery...

-ted

I had a brief visit tonight. He is in rehab (PT/OT) until 4:30 every day as far as I can tell. I asked him if he was tired, he said no, but I think he was a little bit.

He's in pretty good spirits for a guy who's been in the hospital as long as he has.

I saw Kurt this afternoon, he is the Kurt I remembered, (I haven't seen him in a couple years) he has some short term memory issues. He has a meeting with his doctors tomorrow (monday). I hope he can be discharge from the hospital soon, so he can continue his rehab at home. I was in bit of shock seeing part of his his skull removed, but like the six million dollar man, they will put something better in...

-ted

Just got this email this morning that went out a few days ago from one of the arborist crew and thought I'd post it as it seems like a pretty good summary of Kurt's current situation.

k

Hi there everyone. It’s all for the most part, good news. About three days ago now, Kurt just came around. His memory seems to be intact, except concerning the accident itself and the two weeks after. He also doesn’t seem to have any major physical impairments from this either, at least as far as we can tell. Phew!!! What a long strange trip it’s been. He is still in Harborview and will be for at least another week undergoing what they call occupational therapy. From what I understand, it is to determine whether he truly is ok and can function on his own. They may or may not let him go home upon getting out of the hospital. He may need to go to a facility for a time until they determine his capability. Anyway, the worst is over, but there is a long way to go. He still is ‘missing’ part of the bone in his head and must still wear a helmet when up and about. I don’t have a clear time frame as to when the bone will be put back. At first I heard September, but that might be moved up now. So this brings me to the ever present part two of the update. It is clear Kurt won’t be working for some time and it is also becoming clearer as to what the insurance will and won’t pay for. For instance, it doesn’t appear to pay for much of this occupational therapy. In short, the bills are piling up. So please consider a donation the trust fund to help him pay for some of this. We all appreciate it.

Funny story:

Kurt and I are chatting. A doctor comes in and interrupts our conversation for a moment. Soon as Doc leaves, I look at Kurt and admit I can't remember what we were just talking about. He goes, "We were talking about the roommate I had in the last room I was in." I go, "Oh yeah."

It's official.

Kurt's memory is better than mine.

Kurt is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. He'll stay at his parent's place temporarily until the floors in his house are done.

Highlights of the meeting with the doctors: they advised no alcohol consumption for a year hellno3d.gif; and the expression on Kurt's face when the doc suggested that upon his return to rock climbing "you might want to let someone else lead for a while" was pretty amusing.