Best way to motivate yourself to make the DRIVE

plark42

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how far fart jokes can get you.

Ya I play the same one over and over again and laugh my head off the whole way..it goes like this

I fart you choke, yelrotflmao.gif

this joke usually works best if your the driver with power window controls..it also has great side affects..like this weekend I dont get to drive..

Hell is also another great game..point all the vents at partner and turn up heat..but slowly so he doesnt notice..love that one..again may limit future driving time so double bonus

Or you could buy a duc..I did and its awesome but im too afraid to leave it anywhere so no go for many crag trips..

Ya I play the same one over and over again and laugh my head off the whole way..it goes like this

this joke usually works best if your the driver with power window controls..it also has great side affects..like this weekend I dont get to drive..

Hell is also another great game..point all the vents at partner and turn up heat..but slowly so he doesnt notice..love that one..again may limit future driving time so double bonus

Or you could buy a duc..I did and its awesome but im too afraid to leave it anywhere so no go for many crag trips..

I just jam the guys rad fan when he's not lookin and watch his engine overheat and blow the head. Wicked fun.

My favorite game is to wait until my passengers are asleep then head to the nearest rumble strip, just as you start hitting it, scream out real loud. They'll think twice about not keeping you company on the drive.

ya...for a bit but after a couple hours your so freakin paranoid that you dont speed even a bit so it actaully takes longer..plus the whole time your just waiting for an appropriate amount of time to go by before suggesting another round.. cantfocus.gif

cannons are best

Relocate.

I agree. Move out of that CA sh!thole and move to somewhere where the drive is scenic and part of the trip.

Driving through the cascades you can spend a majority of the drive looking at future objectives and planning other trips. From what I recall of driving in CA it was all about traffic and avoiding some road rage freak.

It seems like a little perspective is in order. You're complaining about living close to a major mountain range with great terrain for which you need to drive 4-5 hours for your trips. You could be living in Iowa or Tennessee where you'd be looking at days just to get to a reasonable range with good climbing objectives.

Plan some trips down the east side of the Sierra down Rt. 395. It's hard not to get excited with all the great peaks you can see from the road for miles on end... and you can break up your long drive with a stop at the Mobil station.

Don't be such a cry-baby plark42!!

I live in Pullman, and have to drive at least 4 hours to get

to alpine objectives (L'worth is 4 hours, Rainier is 5 hrs,

N Cascades are 6 hrs or more). Except when climbing with

someone from over here (Kurt), I make the drive alone

(girlfriend does not live around here, and is not into climbing).

If I'm climbing with someone in/near Seattle area,

I drive the previous night and crash at their place. I do

make the drive back home after the climb though. I've done

trips to Shuksan/Baker/Ruth etc. and have driven back the

same night (to reach home early next day grin.gif). And the

135 odd miles on Hwy 26 is probably the most boring section

of a highway in the whole state (and you can't speed due to

cops).

I usually get by listening to music, and NPR whenever near

civilization. Coffee and a bag of Tim's Cascade chips will keep

me up. If I'm really beat after the climb, I resort to Red Balls...

The climbing makes it up for all the trouble easily thumbs_up.gif.

Yeah, what everyone else said. Plark42, if you are complaining then either your gf wants you home more often at which point you should ditch her, or sack up b/c that really isn't that far to drive. When I lived in Eugene three years ago, I would drive every weekend up to the N. Cascades leaving Friday after work and getting to the TH at midnight, climbing all day Saturday and SUnday and usually getting back to Eugene at midnight on Monday in time to start the workday monday morning. I was driving up there so much in a Chevy Silvarado that I sold the truck cry.gif and bought a Subaru so I could afford the gas to keep heading up there every weekend.

If you really enjoy climbing like most of us, the drive is insignificant and you won't remember the drive but the climb itself. You will find a way to get up into the hills.

I also takeissue with there being no climbing in Tennessee. There is actually more rock climbing around Chatanooga and where I went to college at Sewanee (University of the South) than any major city in the Pacific NW. Granted it is all steep sandstone and not alpine. Think T-Wall, Foster Falls, Buzzard Point, Sunset, Suck Creek Canyon, and other further objectives (more than 1 hr) like Looking Glass and Obed River Gorge. There are eight climbing areas within 1 hr. of Chataboogie! And there were several winters while I was in school that we actually climbed ice on campus with more regularity than I can say for the Columbia Gorge. We had about 80 est. routes on campus both sport and trad and over 29 miles of sandstone bluff (the campus perimeter on top of the Plateau) of unexplored and undocumented first ascents. Pretty cool place to send your kids if they love rock! Sorry for the digression.....

One of my favorite parts of every Valley trip I've done is the last 4 hours of the 16 hour marathon- Red Bull, Coffee, Trance music, hammer to the floor at 3 AM through all the Tweakerville's in the Central Valley foothills. By the time I arrive I've spent 16 hours getting so amped to climb I can hardly stand it.

It's all about being free, on the road, and going someplace. How can it get any better?