Best way to motivate yourself to make the DRIVE

plark42

Hey CC'ers..

What's the best method for getting motivated to make a long drive to climb some distant peak?

This past weekend my girlfriend and I drove 4 hours from Davis, Ca to matterhorn peak just north of yosemite. After we hiked out on sunday.. the long, uneventful, half awake drive home reminded me just how much I hate driving to and from the mountains. I always tell myself I would climb so much more than 1-2X a month if the mountains were an hour or less away. It's such a drag to have to factor driving into the equation. It just takes so much out of you.. you ever try hiking up a 14er in colorado after sitting in a car for 4 hours? I know everyone out there has.. and it SUCKS!!

How do you keep yourself geared up to make the drive?? We spent nearly $70 on gas alone to make this trip..

I was thinking of doing shasta this weekend (also a 4-5 hour drive).. but I just don't think I'm up for all the time in the car. Same thing goes with bc skiing in the winter. It sucks to drive 4-5 hours round trip (to and from Tahoe) just for 5-6 hours of skiing..

How do you do it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey CC'ers..

What's the best method for getting motivated to make a long drive to climb some distant peak?

This past weekend my girlfriend and I drove 4 hours from Davis, Ca to matterhorn peak just north of yosemite. After we hiked out on sunday.. the long, uneventful, half awake drive home reminded me just how much I hate driving to and from the mountains. I always tell myself I would climb so much more than 1-2X a month if the mountains were an hour or less away. It's such a drag to have to factor driving into the equation. It just takes so much out of you.. you ever try hiking up a 14er in colorado after sitting in a car for 4 hours? I know everyone out there has.. and it SUCKS!!

How do you keep yourself geared up to make the drive?? We spent nearly $70 on gas alone to make this trip..

I was thinking of doing shasta this weekend (also a 4-5 hour drive).. but I just don't think I'm up for all the time in the car. Same thing goes with bc skiing in the winter. It sucks to drive 4-5 hours round trip (to and from Tahoe) just for 5-6 hours of skiing..

How do you do it?

it's all worth the prize at the end

I just drove 9 hours each way to bag Shasta. We listened to lots of Metallica to get pumped up. rockband.gif

Get the fuck out, you sound like some of the Euros I climb with here who whine. "Oh why do you want to go to Panga, it is a 3 hours drive, let go to Gitarama (a shitty chossy piece of shit thing they call a cliff, worse than X38)" cry.gif Jeezus H Christ! I don't really care how long I have to drive as long I know I will get some climbing in. I guess I am lucky I don't need any more motivation than the route that is waiting for me. Maybe I am a little wacky, ok yeah I am, but we used 5 hours one way for a day of climbing at Willowby and return the same day 2am start, midnight return. All it is a alpine start that is pretty cush, instead of humping it up to the base of the route at 2am, your sitting in a nice comfy car, good tunes, good coffee and good company what else could you ask for, for an alpine start, it doesn't get any easier.

Now what gets me back is the thoughts of nice warm shower, scotch, spliff, and comfy bed. I really don't like sleeping outside, yeah I can, but I would rather sleep in my bed. Also there is always something happening in town, even in this little machete yeilding sleepy town of Kigali that I call home, so there is always something else to look forward to a like a party, music or dinner with friends.

How do I do it, easily. All I really desire more than most things it to climb and there is more that I want to do besides just climb.

Now stop your whinning and don't even get me going on gas prices, shit I never knew how cheap gas was in the states. No wonder people don't drive around here.

jesus dude, you sound like a total pussy.

is "the girlfriend" really you?

See you had "Climbing Mike" say that. Please have "Driving Mike" respond to this. I think the entrance to his being is behind some filing cabinet. After the drive, Driving Mike might spit you out onto the New Jersey Turnpike though.