Viet Nam visa

I was told I should have a "Guarantee letter" sent from an agent here in order to pick up my visa in Viet Nam. Has anyone gone through this process before? has anyone gotten their visa (in-country) without this letter?

(Note: I am leaving July 31st so time is an important factor.)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arch,

We adopted our first kid from Viet Nam, and made two trips there. You can get a VISA without a guarantee letter. Send your passport to the San Francisco passport agency office with your VISA application to get an in-country VISA before you leave. It won't take more than a month, but get on it now. I can get you contact info if you need it.

FYI, if you get to Tan Son Nhut (if you're flying into Saigon/HCMC and not Hanoi) and you need to change your VISA for some reason, don't stand around in the airport looking st00pid, because no one's going to help you, and unless you speak Vietnamese, you're gonna be there for awhile. There is a small office off to the right of the entry/check-in lines, where for $10-$20 US you can get your VISA changed, modified, or amended. Trust me on this, I know... rolleyes.gif

BTW, why the trip? Climbing? Beach lounging? Conversion to Buddhism?

Begin thread drift

There is some pretty good climbing around Ha Long Bay, and possibly other places, but it never panned out for us on either trip, as "family building" was the primary purpose and the paper-chase with that effort proved too difficult and time-consuming to ever separate from it long enough for climbing to become an option.

The Skinner website would probably be your best bet for info, cuz I can't speak from personal experience here. Linky

End thread drift

We now return this thread to archenemy.

Thanks for all this info!

I am not planning on climbing, just looking around.

Sure appreciate all the input--I am open to suggestions on things I shouldn't miss, too.

Plus, I'll be going to Cambodia after Vietnam for a little bit, so I welcome any info on that as well.

Thanks everyone!

Don't miss Ha Long Bay. You'll never forget it.

Don't miss Quan 1 of Saigon, You'll never forget it.

Don't miss the beaches around Phan Tiet. You'll regret it.

Cuchi tunnels are cool, too (Viet Nam War stuff).

I'm sure Angkor Wat is on your list for Cambodia...?

Suggested reading before departure:

Catfish and Mandala, Andrew X. Pham, 2000

Survival in the Killing Fields, Hang S. Ngor/Roger Warner, 2003 (very sad epilogue...)

And of course, the Lonely Planet guides... rolleyes.gif

All available at fine bookstores near you...

PM me for add'l info, or ask here. I've "favorite"-ed this thread.

We were there for about a month, so I'm sure I'll remember other bits and pieces as time allows.

AH! Motorcycle bandits and passport wallets! Carry your passport inside your shirt, not on the outside! My wife almost had hers ripped off her neck by a passing motorcycle bandit. They're very skilled at this. Beware!

Other than that isolated instance, we hever had a worry about crime while there.

arch,

We used the following outfit for getting our VN VISAs:

Travel Document Systems, Inc.

One Embarcadero Center, Suite 500

San Francisco, CA 94111

888-874-5100

415-773-2829

We FedEx-ed them our passports, the fee, with pre-paid return FedEx, and they were back in about 10 days or so.

Watch out for the transvestite prostitute pick pockets . . . had one try to steal my watch off my wrist and solicit me at the same time (neither worked).

This is way out of date, but we had a good time staying at a small hotel in Saigon we found through the Lonely Planet (1997). It was called the Bich Tuy if I remember correctly (love that name laugh.gif). They would probably remember us -- just mention the americans with dengue fever . . .

My buddy did. Not a fun thing to get (picked it up in Bali actually). First night in Saigaon we're out at some stupid expat club that's a bazillion degrees inside and he turns to me and says "It's freezing in here." Time to go . . .

It was made all the more interesting by getting treated by a German born, England educated doctor living in Bangkok but commuting to Saigon for a Australian run clinic. He said "Oh, it's fine for you to stay in Southeast Asia, you just might die . . ."

The joys of international travel.

BTW, you should most definitely get your visa here before you go. Ran into that problem also.

• 1 month later...

Seems like the visa issue will be a non issue. I have had no troubles here in Thailand, except the trouble I have found myself. Muay Thai boxing and lady-boy shows can take up a great deal of effort. I'll TR with pics when I get back ya'll. Thanks for all your advice and help!