• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Evank

What Does Common Sense Dictate

I was eastbound on Denny Way in the left lane. Traffic sucked, but I couldn't determine why since I was headed uphill and couldn't see too far in front of me. When I got to the traffic light in front of the Pacific Science Center, I finally saw that there was some sort of accident about three blocks up. There were flares across the street blocking the eastbound lane. Unfortunately it is illegal to make a left turn at that intersection. Since there were no cops there directing traffic and I had just watched a bunch of people go through the intersection and turn right at the next street, I thought that was what I was supposed to do. When the light turned green I went through and got into the right lane to turn off. A cop then waved me over and reamed me out because I rolled over the flares. He let me go with the comment "Next time, use some common sense!"

So what does common sense dictate in this situation? Do I

a) do exactly as I did and drive past the flares?

b) make the illegal left hand turn?

c) sit there until traffic backs up enough that someone official decides to investigate and tells me what I'm supposed to do?

Thoughts?

Get out of your car and walk away. Go to the Seattle Center, find the man wearing the dress and twirling scarves. ask him for the passcode.

Common sense tells me that bitching about how mean the big bad police officer was to you cry.gif on cc.com isn't going to change the behaviour of the police force.

pick up the flare and tear it into a million pieces while expressing your total lack of satisfication w/ the current State of The Road

I was eastbound on Denny Way in the left lane. Traffic sucked, but I couldn't determine why since I was headed uphill and couldn't see too far in front of me. When I got to the traffic light in front of the Pacific Science Center, I finally saw that there was some sort of accident about three blocks up. There were flares across the street blocking the eastbound lane. Unfortunately it is illegal to make a left turn at that intersection. Since there were no cops there directing traffic and I had just watched a bunch of people go through the intersection and turn right at the next street, I thought that was what I was supposed to do. When the light turned green I went through and got into the right lane to turn off. A cop then waved me over and reamed me out because I rolled over the flares. He let me go with the comment "Next time, use some common sense!"

So what does common sense dictate in this situation? Do I

a) do exactly as I did and drive past the flares?

b) make the illegal left hand turn?

c) sit there until traffic backs up enough that someone official decides to investigate and tells me what I'm supposed to do?

Thoughts?

Pretend you don't speak English?

Did he tell you what he thought you should have done?

No. That's why I was wondering if there was an official "lesser of two evils" in cases like this. Admittedly it was a long time ago, but this situation never came up in driver's ed.

Pick up the flare, stare into his eyes, and then put it out in your hand. Duh thats common sense.