What Does Common Sense Dictate

Evank

I was eastbound on Denny Way in the left lane. Traffic sucked, but I couldn't determine why since I was headed uphill and couldn't see too far in front of me. When I got to the traffic light in front of the Pacific Science Center, I finally saw that there was some sort of accident about three blocks up. There were flares across the street blocking the eastbound lane. Unfortunately it is illegal to make a left turn at that intersection. Since there were no cops there directing traffic and I had just watched a bunch of people go through the intersection and turn right at the next street, I thought that was what I was supposed to do. When the light turned green I went through and got into the right lane to turn off. A cop then waved me over and reamed me out because I rolled over the flares. He let me go with the comment "Next time, use some common sense!"

So what does common sense dictate in this situation? Do I

a) do exactly as I did and drive past the flares?

b) make the illegal left hand turn?

c) sit there until traffic backs up enough that someone official decides to investigate and tells me what I'm supposed to do?

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eastbound on Denny Way in the left lane. Traffic sucked, but I couldn't determine why since I was headed uphill and couldn't see too far in front of me. When I got to the traffic light in front of the Pacific Science Center, I finally saw that there was some sort of accident about three blocks up. There were flares across the street blocking the eastbound lane. Unfortunately it is illegal to make a left turn at that intersection. Since there were no cops there directing traffic and I had just watched a bunch of people go through the intersection and turn right at the next street, I thought that was what I was supposed to do. When the light turned green I went through and got into the right lane to turn off. A cop then waved me over and reamed me out because I rolled over the flares. He let me go with the comment "Next time, use some common sense!"

So what does common sense dictate in this situation? Do I

a) do exactly as I did and drive past the flares?

b) make the illegal left hand turn?

c) sit there until traffic backs up enough that someone official decides to investigate and tells me what I'm supposed to do?

Thoughts?

Pretend you don't speak English?

Did he tell you what he thought you should have done?

No. That's why I was wondering if there was an official "lesser of two evils" in cases like this. Admittedly it was a long time ago, but this situation never came up in driver's ed.