RAMROD/CAMROD

Dwayner

Tomorrow...July 25...2002...once again, the perhaps the toughest bicycle challenge this side of the Pecos...it's RAMROD: Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day!!!

Lesser known is the annual corresponding event, CAMROD: Croquet Around Mt. Rainier. Once again, 8-time champion, Dwayner, will be found on the roads of the National Park with his running game of croquet. Look for him between Longmire and Paradise and perhaps onward to Ohanapecosh. (He got injured in last Sunday's McCubbin's Gulch Scramble so the total mileage is uncertain.) If you are on your bike, you may yell, "Hi Dwayner", or a similar clever phrase if you choose. Don't hit or swat at him....he carries a mallet. And give a shout-out to his support crew, world-famous So.Cal. climber "Denis Erectus" with his little assistant, "Mr. Sammo".

Have a successful and safe challenge and see you on the Big Hill!

- Dwayner

-

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read up all winter (Samuel, Delwen "Investigation of Ancient Egyptian Baking and Brewing Methods by Correlative Microscopy" Science July 1996, v273, n5274, pg. 488) and will be waiting at the finish line with the results - so Go Dwayner Go!.

Petey

[ 07-24-2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Peter Puget ]

I agreed with Mike about the studliness of the rides, but really, once you're doing either of these rides you're pretty studly. RAMROD has more the asthetics and completeness. Can't beat a circumnambulation, Death Ride seems a bit, well, contrived... Then again, not every state is blessed with a mountain and a road system like Rainier. [Cool]

• 2 weeks later...

Texas has a ride called the "Hotter than Hell 100". Held each August near Witchita, it's 100 miles, and the temperature is usually over 100 degrees, and humidity often 100%. A popular way to finish that race is in an ambulance.

Henry is correct about the TDF, of course. And what's more, the pro's ride fast, real fast. But the Tour isn't something your average rider can enter, even if you could you'd get dropped in the first km. It's unbelievable just how fast pro's ride. You have to see it to believe it.

Lets not forget about Cannonball- Kent to Spokane in 1 day 284 miles, most of it on I90. RAAM race across America. Totaly sick first one there wins. No stages, one big push. All day and all night. I will check ther website later to see how this years went

[ 08-02-2002, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Dave Schuldt ]

I believe the longest one day USCF-sanctioned race is Lotoja (www.lotoja.com) with over 200 miles of racing. September 14th this year.

For 2003, I think the race will end on top of Teton pass, but for now the race still rolls along the Snake river from Alpine to Jackson Hole.

RAMROD is a good ride with a great geographic focus. A few years back it fell on the hottest day of the year with no wind. Result = 9 hours of suffering. The Death Ride is harder with more vertical, but not as aesthetic as the round-trip round Ranier.

[ 08-02-2002, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]