Picking the Wine for the Climb

AlpineK

OK, so I figure that blush wine goes with most of the modern overbolted stuff, but what wine do you drink when you climb DH/Luvin Arms? Or even more complicated what wine selection do you bring if you're planning a weekend at WA pass with one day at Goat Wall? And what do you do if you get rained out? confused.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a cabernet would be perfect, it's undertones of apple and plum would be the perfect complement to the orchards and fruit farmers of the methow and lowlands of western washington. but a dry reisling may be best for Index, it's cripness may offset the muggyness of a damp index morn.

AlpineK, Cardinal Zin by Bonnie Doon would be a good choice for DH/LA. A fruity chilled Reisling would be a good pairing for your afternoon cragging at Goat Wall.

i think for alpine K you could've stopped at "fruity"

Nothing goes with climbing at Index then a cold can of Sparks in the store parking lot.

That's true or better yet the Sparks+ with 7% malt liquor. However there are those days when you are climbing with a, "lovely young lady," with a pack full of brie, strawberries and several kinds of bread and if you were to pull out a can of sparks you'd look so gauche. shocked.gif

In that case... Try the Cardinal Zin. If she is truly a lovely young lady, she'll appreciate such a nice choice. wink.gif And you can have an interesting conversation about the label artwork.

If you don't want to drop more than $20-24 for a bottle of good complex red, pick up a bottle of Root:1 from the Maipo Valley in Chile. Great $12 bottle of 2003 cabernet from original European old vines that have never been grafted and never suffered phylloxera. It will nicely compliment the strawberries, bread and cheese.

wave.gif

I was taking a chica out for some climbing and I thought it might be pretty cool to break out a bottle of wine at the end of the day and watch the light change out in the desert. Lucky for me I didn't get my shit together and make it to the store. Later when we were more involved I had told about my plan, but that I had failed. She told me it was a good thing because she would have never gone out with me a again. She wasn't looking for a guy who posts in Cafe' Sensitivioso, she just wanted to go climbing.

I was taking a chica out for some climbing and I thought it might be pretty cool to break out a bottle of wine at the end of the day and watch the light change out in the desert. Lucky for me I didn't get my shit together and make it to the store. Later when we were more involved I had told about my plan, but that I had failed. She told me it was a good thing because she would have never gone out with me a again. She wasn't looking for a guy who posts in Cafe' Sensitivioso, she just wanted to go climbing.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif Sounds like a guy. yelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

don't date climbing chicks. they always pull that shit.

insecure, masculinized, bitches!

You know I was thinking about this at work today, and I must admit it was a refreshing change from the usual, "Oh my god, she climbs, must get her in bed, asap!"

It has been my experience with dating climber guys that their idea of a hot date is to go cragging, then hit up a pub for burger/beer on the way home to bed. Which is cool and all, but it certainly doesn't inspire the short skirt high heels ultra feminine hotness that non climber guys, um, encourage. blush.gif

Not to stereotype you all, or anything. I'm sure all of you in the cafe know how to treat a lady like a lady. But in a very PC, non patriarchal, non domineering, non chivalrous yet respectful and attentive way. rolleyes.gif

There has been so many climbing/dating threads on so many sites that this is almost comical. If you're a single climber, you want to date a climber. If you're an attached climber, you want to climb with your partner, except that:

a) your partner doesn't climb and resents it that you do

b) your partner doesn't climb as hard/climbs harder than you

or

c) when you and your partner climb together you fight

I'd say the wine choice isn't as important as the quantity, because you're going to need alot of it to get over all the lame dating/climbing issues. grin.gifbigdrink.gif

don't date climbing chicks. they always pull that shit.

insecure, masculinized, bitches!

ummmm, not all of us! Just cuz we're tougher then your average high heeled wearing chick whos afraid of the dirt and busting up their nails, doesn't mean we're insecure, masculine, or bitches.....