accident at Little Si

cfire

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man fell 75 feet on Little Mount Si. East Side fire and rescue got to him and he appears to be doing ok... Based on Kiro 7 News Report. thumbs_up.gif
I saw the news report and they interviewed the guy's buddies. I didn't recognize either of them. From what I gathered the guy was scrambling up some ledges, perhaps to set up a top rope, and he slipped.

From what I gathered the guy was scrambling up some ledges, perhaps to set up a top rope, and he slipped.

... as there are 0 tope ropes at WWI. I do not know his condition as of this morning, yet I can say that the accident involved a fall from "Lanch Ledge". As anyone who climbs there knows this is not a 75ft fall, but trauma is trauma. From what I have been told, he was not climbing but walking along the ledge as he was leaving the crag.

come on guys...you really wanna see a fixed line?? Most of the climbing there is above 5.10...you wanna make it handicapped accessible? It will only lead to more crowding...dogs, people milling around, trash, gear lying everywhere...WW1 was one of my favorite places, but i don't go there much anymore...

rockclimbing is not supposed to be safe...even at a "sanitized" k-mart style place like si...go to the gym if that's your gig...

Well, I suppose I agree with RuMR. It's hard to draw the line. If one installs something on LL then why not a line for the scramble up to the upper left of World Wall? The guides state the exposed access and that should be enough. And things are increasingly sketch when wet or crowded- caveat emptor.

I had a friend who was climbing with the climber who fell and he asked me to post these details:

-The climber was traversing across the ledge between Reptiles and Aborigine. He lost his footing and his body was out away from the rock and he was not able to grab onto anything.

-He was an "expert" climber. "Expert" is obviously open to interpretation but I consider myself capable of traversing that ledge and he is certainly a stronger and more experienced climber than myself. I use the term "expert", while having no relevence to his ability or inability to do one pinky pullups or crap like that, but to communicate that this was not some gumby stumbling around trying to set up top-ropes for his buddies.

-911 was called immediately.

-He never lost consciousness (sp.) and always had feeling in his extremities.

-There was obvious swelling in the left elbow to indicate a broken arm or ligament injury which was later confirmed (broken arm). There was also lacerations and bruising.

-He was treated for shock and climbers were with him until medical help arrived, which took about 1 hour.

-He was placed onto a backboard which was put onto one of those fancy, one wheel gurney things and he was transported to Harborview.

-He had no major injuries beyond the broken arm. Minor injuries were limited to bruising and cuts, one of which was on his head.

-He is okay and recovering and feels bad for ruining his partner's day.

-If anyone has specific questions about the accident, please PM me and I will do my best to find out more details.

This accident was just that, an accident! They can happen to anyone who loses their focus for just a moment. As climbers, there are a great deal of things that are outside of our control (rockfall, icefall, weather, aging). We must recognize and accept these dangers and be doubly

careful, but accidents can still happen. Be careful and climb safe!

I've got mixed feelings on the idea of a fixed line or somesuch.

Last week when I was there, some guy tumbled from right under Chronic but was able to stop himself on the ledge below. Close call.

There have been two falls that I know of from the ledges to the bottom, with one guy suffering a collapsed lung and such I think.

It seems as though part of the problem is the crowding at the base of Chronic, as it becomes a thorough-fare on busy days. Perhaps a little rebar ladder to provide easy access across the lower traverse would redirect traffic.

The fact is that the wall will be busy with or without the present hazard, since it's the only hard sport-climbing venue near seattle. I don't see a major ethical problem with making it a bit safer for everyone.

With the exception of RuMR, even 5.10+ climbers occasionally slip. I figure throwing in an old piece of rope or something like that would help move over that section of rock.

Anyone has the option to bust out a rope and belay themselves across this ledge. If you worried about slipping get a belay.

No fixed rope. thumbs_down.gif

With the exception of RuMR, even 5.10+ climbers occasionally slip. I figure throwing in an old piece of rope or something like that would help move over that section of rock.

Anyone has the option to bust out a rope and belay themselves across this ledge. If you worried about slipping get a belay.

No fixed rope. thumbs_down.gif

agreed.

Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay. thumbs_up.gif It would be interesting to hear what his opinion is on the fixed line vs. belay.