Approach Vehicle Suggestions

I tried to get a new diesel VW in order to go Biodiesel after the waranty expired. They are very tough to get right now. All of the Golfs sold out in February/March. Diesel Passats weren't imported this year. Only thing left 2 months ago were Jettas at $24,000+.

I've heard rumors that VW won't be bringing any more diesels to the US until 2008. Something about emissions.

On a more positive note, VW has approved B5 for use in all of it's diesel motors. It's not very much "B", but it's a start.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found with a 4x4 truck I still get stuck, I just get more stuck farther in. That said there are definitely trips that simply would not have happened w/o the abilities of that vehicle. I've found it is important to have two vehicles going into these places, so one can "test the waters" and be towed out if need be. Trucks are great, but they just aren't made for driving on the freeway!

I am surprised to hear about the volkswagen diesel situation. I've seen tons of them on the road. It's too bad they don't offer their 4-motion w/ TDI.

Yeah, they are redesigning the vw tdi to meet california emissions, to be released as a 08 model in fall 07. so you gotta wait. they will have rabbits (the new golf) and jetta sedans and passat sedan/wagons, but no jetta wagon (according to a salesman at University VW).

Diesel Subaru would be KILLER, but that would be a much longer wait.

If you like SUVs, there is a Jeep Liberty Diesel.

True that about if you have the 4wd truck, you'll be the one trashing it in Canada. I suggest getting a tiny fuel efficient car, and renting a truck on the 4 days a year you actually need one.

But if you do get a 4wd, don't get a subaru. Get a Toyota P/U (tacoma). My truck, THE GENERAL 2000 (it's the 2000 now that I have a mobile command unit; i.e. cell phone and laptop), fucking tears it up on the gnarl. There are TOO many stories about the General 2000 fucking leading the charge when all hope was lost. I have over 330,000 miles on the mo-fo and have only had a few repairs on it (knock on wood). It gets about 20mpg these days, which is pretty fucking good concidering it's milage. In fact, you may have seen THE GENERAL 2000 in such movies as X-MEN (seriously, my truck is in X-men).

snugtop.gifrockband.gifthe_finger.gifrockband.gifsnugtop.gif

Me tearing shit up in the General 2000 in bumfuck canada (the Chehalis)

136vienesse18.jpg

136vienesse191.jpg

136vienesse201.jpg

And it's one of two repairs (the alternator in this case...after 300,000 miles)

136DSC00302.JPG

LONG LIVE THE GENERAL 2000!!!!!!!! snugtop.gif

yeah, the stickers really piss me off. I put em on long ago when I worked outdoor retail. too lazy to scratch em off, so I slapped a big "climbing sucks" sticker over the middle.

My car wouldn't go foreward when the alternator blew, so instead of pushing it to a shop in a record cold-snap outside of Billings,MT, I got a tow.

My truck, THE GENERAL 2000 (it's the 2000 now that I have a mobile command unit; i.e. cell phone and laptop), fucking tears it up on the gnarl.

yellaf.gif Before I totalled it my Ford half-ton had a matching bumper to the General's due to that same road into the Chehalis. Though I did some "reconstructive" work with the backside of a 9 lb maul.

I could have told you you would get stuck there. It's easier to get the shovel out BEFORE you try to cross.

I'd done it the year before just fine but that was before the 100 year rain event we had in Oct '03 which washed all the rocks out of the ditch.

We had to dig out the rear bumper with ice tools and then jack up each tire independently and place rocks under each one. 4 HOURS. Broke my little finger. BUT DUDE IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT rolleyes.gif Get a centre-locking diff kids cry.gif

They aren't PANTSHORTS, but as a matter of fact, they ARE womens' pants.  laugh.gif

I would like to take this opportunity to call attention to the fact that Drippy has never owned a truck and when his last packed it in he went out and bought ANOTHER

He lets others destroy their trucks

Edited by jordop

My car wouldn't go foreward when the alternator blew, so instead of pushing it to a shop in a record cold-snap outside of Billings,MT, I got a tow.

Oh I just meant I would think a jumpstart would get that thing going to avoid the tow if it wasn't fuel injected. But montana cold can be a good motivator just to get the hell outta dodge.