Approach Vehicle Suggestions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to save money and lower your carbon footprint...use public transportation or the good mileage 2wd rig you can afford 99% of the time, then RENT a real 4WD for when you actually might need one.

You won't be able to plaster climbing stickers and greenpeace stickers all over it. But life isn't perfect.

If you really want to save money and lower your carbon footprint...use public transportation or the good mileage 2wd rig you can afford 99% of the time, then RENT a real 4WD for when you actually might need one.

I ride the bus to work, so this rig is strictly for clambering around on the weekends and the occasional grocery, but thanks for suggestion nonetheless. This baby is for driving around town for the evenings:

m3.jpg

get rid of the stock rubber as a first!!

Nice machine, theres plenty of aftermarket shite for that.

oh and your racks are fine...why do you want to get rid of them..? they are rated high in the carry capacity

Those aren't the stock tires and I wanted to get a ski rack that fits onto the existing rack, as well as a rocket box. That way I can fit 4 plus all the hundreds of pounds of the lightest gear they make. The stock rack is rated to 165lbs, though :tup: :tup:

Anyone know a good place to buy custom Husky Liners, you know the thick rubberized ones with the spill proof lip around the edges??

Kurt, a car in a similiar state to my '90 Toyota Corolla 5spd w/212k mi would kelley blue book for $1500. Trouble is finding one for sale (mine isn't). 40mpg, 36.7 when I drove from PDX to Moscow in 5hr flat... oh and they normally don't sway so much in the corners like on the Lochsa trip....just needs new shocks/struts (last done around 100k mi).

Regarding a rack for your 4runner, I've always liked Yakima racks. They make a 'tower' that will fit in the stock rack rails and support a round crossbar. You can then attach just about anything to the round crossbar, including safari-style racks, ski racks, bike rack, cargo boxes, kayak mounts, etc.

The advantage of this method is the interface between rack and car only occurs where there is a factory rail installed anyway. The other option is to get towers that clamp around the top of the door/roof, available through Thule, Yakima, others. My concern with these is that if you end up basically leaving it on all the time, you can end up with paint damage under the 'foot' of the 'tower'. It is also not as easy to remove if for example you go on a road trip and want to improve your economy a bit and don't need the rack, or if you want to go through a car wash.

finally, a third option is to install mini-rails (available through Yakima, others) by drilling into the roof of the truck. This is what most people do to install them on pickup truck toppers, but can be done on any vehicle. The advantages are very easy to remove rack from vehicle, very strong, very clean look. Disadvantage is that the rails are essentially permanent.

I was checking out these guys on Aurora:

http://www.racknroad.com/seattle.html

I think the Yakima option is exactly what I'm looking for. The existing rack has rails where the raised-crossbar/spoiler-thingys can slide back and forth. There's a knob underneath this that cranks them down in place, and I was thinking there must be a way to take those off and put in a tower for one of the major brands of racks (Thule, Yakima, etc). This way I can put on a ski rack, bike rack, cargo box, etc and still remove them all when I'm not using them. :tup: :tup:

Go steal the most monstrous sized deisel Dodge Ram 4x4 you can find! Then run it on McDonalds fat.

Or......my buddy has Lesbaru outwank, and he gets that thing in some pretty quirkey spots.

Or......I have an early 90's toyota 4x4. Its a 4 cynd, and gets close to 28mpg on the highway. I can throw all sorts of crap in the bed, +, OLD yoters can go ANYWHERE!