Approach Vehicle Suggestions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shit man.. Most any car will get you where you want to go.

It's all about how many camel jockies you want to pay. You decide and live with your choices. I now ride my bike most the time. It gets 53 mph and I could get better if I needed to.

It's all up to us............ Are we willing to?

Ouch.. Dechristo.. never did think I was a sick bastard. Good gas milage and front wheel drive will get you just about anywhere. ........... Whatever..

E85 is your only option. Diesel will only make you feel better.. it's got shitty emissions. Now if the world would shift to E85.. Now we are onto something. Diesel isn't the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy a 2wd car. I bet this is good enough for 80% of the trips you do. With all the money you save not buying a 4x4, cheaper insurance, cheaper maintenance and less gas rent a 4x4 for the trips that you really need one (or borrow, or invite a friend who owns one, or hire a local red-neck to drive/snowmobile you up to the trailhead - the latter will just cost you a flat of beer).

if you're planning to leave it at any of the heavily used trailheads like in the Icicle Canyon, thievery is much an issue as roadworthiness. the older and uglier, the better, has worked for me. I once left a couple of thousand dollars worth of gear in the unlocked trunk of a 70's vintage nondescript dodge something-or-other at the Stuart Lake trailhead for three days, and returned to find my stash undisturbed, surrounded by shiny toyotas and subarus with their locks punched out... seems like noboby wants to lift the turd to see if there might be a dollar underneath...

• 3 weeks later...

I got bored reading all the rehash of subaru, toyota and tdi, so I am just jumping in.

In short you need a quiver. For long range paved approach I go with the Golf TDI. For the short range high clearence / gravel I go with the 92 4 runner with a 4 banger under the hood. For the exbedition and stay awhile it has to be the ford f250 4x4 with the alaskan camper.

If I was limited to one, I would first of all buy used which drastically reduces your insurance and offsets any fuel costs.

I prefer heavier vehicles due to deer and auto accidents which happen when you drive in the woods and in inclimate weather. Personnaly my chevy took 2 deer hits which would have put my passenger in the hospital. So think safety also.

For used I would buy a used toyota tacoma with a 4 cylinder. The engine is economical (20's hwy) and will run for ever and you can configure the bed for secure gear storage and sleeping.

For new I would consider a diesel jeep liberty for good gas miledge and versitility. Order it with out all the crap on it and they can be had for the same range as a toyota truck of semi loaded subaru.

For Sale: 1991 Toyota Truck 4x4, reg cab, matching topper, bedliner, 4 cyl, 5 sp, BFGoodrich AT tires in good shape, 180k but recent tranny and head/head gasket/valves promise to keep it running for a long, long time. $4300 obo.

SOLD

Edited by dbconlin

Anyone know why Toyota has never sold the HiLux diesel in the US?

Salesman I bought my current RAV4 Mariocart off told me that Toyota North America made a commitment to low emissions that put all diesel engines out of production. Rumours of a diesel/electric hybrid though . . . There are lots of guys importing diesel Toyotas from Japan in BC; they're usually pretty good deals as they haven't been driven much, but they have to be 15 yrs+ old to be imported. Right hand drive of course.

Anyone know why Toyota has never sold the HiLux diesel in the US?

Salesman I bought my current RAV4 Mariocart off told me that Toyota North America made a commitment to low emissions that put all diesel engines out of production. Rumours of a diesel/electric hybrid though . . . There are lots of guys importing diesel Toyotas from Japan in BC; they're usually pretty good deals as they haven't been driven much, but they have to be 15 yrs+ old to be imported. Right hand drive of course.

That's interesting - I was under the impression that a modern diesel compared pretty well with other technologies. Anyway that's definitely a bummer about the import restrictions. I can see getting 500K out of a Toyota diesel.

• 5 months later...

Nice ride. Toyota trucks are great and the year of 4 runner you got are in my opinion the best design.

Unfortunately, when I had a Toyota truck, I was suprised to find that finding/buying Toyota-specific accessories was harder than I expected. I used to own a Jeep and there are oodles of good catalogs for aftermarket accessories for those. I expected there to be enough of a cult following for the same to be true for Toyota trucks.

Here is one of the better catalogs I've found, and they happen to be based in WA too: http://www.northwestoffroad.com/