Approach Vehicle Suggestions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Catbird. I have driven 4x4 and 2x4 pickups, and found I could get just about anywhere in my 2x4 that my buddies could go with the 4x4's, though once in a while the 4x4 made a significant difference - most often being able to turn around on an unplowed road and being able to creap over a washout rather than having to take a run at it. When I upgraded to 4x4 I noticed lower gas mileage more than greater access.

Similarly, I've driven fwd and awd station wagons, and the former get better mileage and are cheaper when you need break jobs and stuff. Thing is, though, my Subaru wasn't available as an fwd.

AWD is better when you are driving in a snowstorm, but that is relatively few of the days that I am on the road.

My Subaru is great on the highway, and quite smooth on the gravel logging roads, but isn't an off-road vehicle, doesn't get great mileage, and is harder to park than I would like.

What are your priorities?

Don't get me wrong - AWD is my much preferred choice. I haven't owned anything but in, i dunno, 5 years. They do, however, suffer from much worse gas milage and, as I said, gas is a major $$ factor in climbing today. I have definitely got places in my AWD that a standard FWD small car would not have made it to but all things considered, a FWD small car would have sufficed 95% of the time. For the other times, find a partner with AWD and make him drive.

I love my 'Saabaru.' The AWD is handy and I'm pretty happy with the gas consumption. I went from a full size 4x4 pick up truck to this little car so I was really worried but I've had 4 people with winter overnight gear in it and it's gotten me most places I need to go. More clearance would be nice but not nice enough to spend twice as much on gas or to justify the environmental impact.

What are your priorities?

Gas consumption is really not an issue. I ride the bus from home to work every day and that won't change for another 30 years (unless that armagedon thing happens). So, this puppy is strictly for mobbin in the back roads. One thing that impressed me with the subaru's while I was cruisin up the Teanaway River Road in my friend's was it the rail factor. I could have sworn the sucker was on rails. We were doing 50 all the way to the trailhead. snugtop.gifsnugtop.gif

Sounding like AWD the way to go. Do they make a Diesel Subaru? Bio-Diesel thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Yes, the Outback does great on relatively good logging roads. You can drive 50 on washboards or loose gravel and it will track pretty well. I think the Forrester is lighter and not as good for this, but somebody else may have another idea. The Outback is also a great highway car. On these kinds of road, though, pretty much any car will get there. If you want to sleep in the back and be able to park easier in town, as well as be able to drive a rougher road, I'd opt for a small 2x4 PU with canopy - but the Subaru is not a bad compromise vehicle.

Just bought a Honda Element (2X4 - Black). Room for 3 mountain bikes inside with wheels on. Front/rear seats join to form two beds - great for trailhead camping. Clearance is good enough. Gets about 27 or 28 mpg hwy. Good warranty, about $21,000+ with all the extras, great visibility, 5-star safety rating.

Don't get electronic ANYTHING with ANY volkswagon. Not even windows.

If you ski at all I strongly discourage the 2x4 pickup.

If I bought a new car today it would be a diesel.

You don't need 4x4 often, but when you do, you are damn happy to have it.

If you do have 4x4 it will be YOUR rig that gets taken to Canada to get thrashed in the Ghost/Waiparous/decommissioned logging road/ice-covered creek/etc/etc

I recommend a minivan.

i think awd is overrated too. my girlfriends toyota camry with studs in winter feels much safer than my 4x4 toy p/u. i think a vw jetta wagon tdi (diesel) would be very ideal. lots of cargo space and great gas milage (46 mpg), can run biodiesel. too bad they don't make it anymore and trying to find one used is...hopeless.

For driving on back roads and such I'd think you'd want something with decent clearance like a nissan or toyota pickup or a jeep even though a front wheel zippy cart like a TDI would be better on the highways. Shit, you could drive anything up the Teanaway to Longs Pass TH, but going into the Chehalis or the Ghost or trying to get up some road in the early season thru snow and shit you want a truck.