• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Gordonb

Beta for Ipsut Creek to Mystic Camp

I am looking for beta.

I want to take my kids and wife on their first multi day back packing trip (they have done lots of overnights) and we were looking at going from Ipsut Creek to Mystic Camp. How is that route?

We are thinking 2 days to mysic camp, two nights there and 1 or 2 days out. The kids are 9 and 13 and I am tring to make the trip enjoyable. More focus on being outdoors than trying to conquer.

I have never done this route and also have a bad reputation with the family for mis-remembering the diffulculty of a route.

FWIW, I was up in Grand Park today (next ridge to the east), and there was suprisingly little snow. Grand Park (elev. 5600ft) was only 20% snow-covered. However it's probably more in Rainier's rain shadow than the area around mystic lake.

The snow starts at Moraine Park, but it is easy to navigate to Mystic. Most of the backcountry camps at Mystic are snowfree. Stop at the Wilkeson RS or Carbon River RS on the way for a permit, the backcountry crew checks them very closely. Chilly