4 wheelers and the Chimney approach

DonnyBaker

Yesterday I ran into Adam Sarsland, he ust to work at discount tire and go to alot of chiefs games. He said he rode his 4 wheeler up to the base of chimney. I told him he was talking crazy man. It got me thinkin maybe I could ride my dirtbike up there brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Caus everbody I climb with hates hiking. But Adam's the same guy who told sucking on a penny would get me out of a dui. Yeah I said it thanks alot Adam, I 'll say it to your freakin face man.

Anybody got any beta on the trail for dirtbiking.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caus everbody I climb with hates hiking.

It's 45 minutes of easy trail with good views. The destination is worthy so suck it up.

It's a trail and it will have snow on it now. What kind of beta do you need? Consider parking your bike at the Roothan Saddle, the last 1/8 mile might be pretty rough.

Chimney has no motorized restriction or anything, but leave the dirt bike at home. It's an easy approach.

Dear Donny Dipshit,

Maybe you and your little homo friend, Felcher, I mean Fletcher, can do a dyno from the parking lot up to chimney Rock. It's just about the same difficulty as that dyno at Dishman you said you've been trying. KEEP YOUR MOTORCYCLE IN THE TRAILER PARK WHERE IT BELONGS! mullet boy.

Dear Donny Dipshit,

Maybe you and your little homo friend, Felcher, I mean Fletcher, can do a dyno from the parking lot up to chimney Rock. It's just about the same difficulty as that dyno at Dishman you said you've been trying. KEEP YOUR MOTORCYCLE IN THE TRAILER PARK WHERE IT BELONGS! mullet boy.

This is rich.

I never thought I'd see Marty expressing his concern about the destruction of nature after the whole Dishman Fiasco .

Caus everbody I climb with hates hiking.

It's 45 minutes of easy trail with good views. The destination is worthy so suck it up.

It's a trail and it will have snow on it now. What kind of beta do you need? Consider parking your bike at the Roothan Saddle, the last 1/8 mile might be pretty rough.

Chimney has no motorized restriction or anything, but leave the dirt bike at home. It's an easy approach.

Hi Martin, glad you're ripping it up on the west side. Wishing you and M well. Good answer.

Used to be a sign at the standard west-side TH where the old Horton Ridge Lookout once stood: sign long since gone and never replaced. My understanding is that much if not all of the Selkirk Crest IS off-limits to motorized vehicles, including Roothann and Chimney. This can be easily confirmed by contacting the Priest Lake RD.

Regardless Donny, your buddy was blowing smoke. In practicality, ground access to the base of Chimney can only be done by the 2- and 4-legged variety of transpo. Just a few years ago a buddy of mine tried to get a quad or dirtbike in close, and realized after a few days of recon that it wasn’t close to feasible. While I like dirtbiking and 4-wheeling, the Chimney area isn't the place for it. You’ll appreciate the place more once you're there.

It's easy to get off-route on the approach, both by vehicle and hiking. The summitpost.com beta is confusing and not entirely accurate, and needs to be updated. PM me Donny, and I'll be glad to give you accurate approach beta.

Steve in Mead

Hi, Kurt. Mine wasn't a comment about style. It was a comment about how nearly every thread on this board ultimately descends into name-calling, parentage slander, and a questioning of one's anscestry. Steve was making an attempt to reverse the trend. IMHO, reasonable. grin.gif

sobo said:

And there you have it, folks... pindude, the Voice of Reason in the cacaphony that is cc.com.

Steve, I take it you're back home in Mead again? Sorry we couldn't hook up when you were in Yakivegas. Carry on!

Back in town just for a few days.

Thanks for the kudos, although I know I'm surely not the only "voice of reason" around here (you, Matt, PP, in his own way Dru, others), and I'm perfectly capable of descending into the depths myself. I decided a while ago to stay out of the cacaphony part and any name-calling unless it was for a really special occasion. I don't have the opportunity or time to monitor on-going exchanges; for me it's much more productive to say my piece and jump out.

I missed hooking up with ya too last summer, Paul. Same job has me traveling again way out of town, this time in several-week chunks. Quite often away from easy internet access and sometimes even out of cell phone range. Leaves little time for real stuff like climbing, skiing and general playing in the mountains...I'd really like to have a different job with more predictability and real time for myself.

AlpineK said:

I just like mullet boy's style.

I like his style too. It's the style of just a few others that leaves much to be desired.

I've forwarded a copy of this thread to my friend at the Priest Lake Ranger District. Motorized Vehicles are banned in the area (think non indigenous caribou tribes), the intent being snowmobiles but covering wheeled motor vehicles too.

They'll be waiting for you Donny.