More news you might have missed...

Peter_Puget

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice that they didn't say he wasn't guilty, just that he wasn't going to be charged. I haven't heard any explanation as to why they weren't going to charge him, which seems odd. Can you say "I've cut a deal and, oh by the way, you can't say anything about it because of national security issues". Blarg.

Notice that they didn't say he wasn't guilty, just that he wasn't going to be charged.
I am no lawyer, but I am pretty sure that folks are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

My (limited) understanding of the legal process so far was only to decide whether to press charges against Rove or not: not to proclaim his innocence or guilt.

Notice that they didn't say he wasn't guilty, just that he wasn't going to be charged. I haven't heard any explanation as to why they weren't going to charge him, which seems odd. Can you say "I've cut a deal and, oh by the way, you can't say anything about it because of national security issues". Blarg.

I believe grand jury deliberations are always kept secret. Sorry Foraker, no conspiracy this time.

Given that we are talking about Karl Rove, I think a conspiracy can pretty much be assumed. Dirty tricks and conspiracy, rather than absence thereof, are more consistent with his past conduct, no?

Raise your hand if you think Rove had nothing to do with outing Valerie Plame as payback for Joseph Wilson.

...Given all this, it seems almost unfathomable that Democratic Party leaders would be insisting, as have Rep. Nancy Pelosi (R-CA) and Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), Democratic leaders of the House and Senate, that there would be no impeachment hearings in Congress if Democrats were to succeed in winning back Congress this November....

My God! Nancy Pelosi is a Republican!?!? Great reporting, and about what I've come to expect from the print rags.

Foraker, I'm not really sure what your post has to do with the 'outing' of a CIA agent, or Carl Rove, for that matter! Your shocking revelation once again demonstrates the desperation of those on the left who regularly practice lobbing grenades in the vain hope that someday....just maybe....one will hit its mark.

Given that we are talking about Karl Rove, I think a conspiracy can pretty much be assumed. Dirty tricks and conspiracy, rather than absence thereof, are more consistent with his past conduct, no?

Like Arch said, "Innocent until proven guilty". Have you lost faith in the judiciary too? It really doesn't take a whole lot of evidence to get an indictment. Must not have been much to the charges.

Fairweather, maybe no conspiracy I'll grant you. Still, given the high profile nature of the case you'd think more would be forthcoming than 'well, no, not today' if for no other reason than to silence rumors. Besides, it's not like we don't live in a world of politicians and lawyers, all of whom like like "face time" on national TV....

Hello Fairweather and Archy: we are talking about a political figure with a long and well known background, and not some poor schmoe accused of a misdemeanor. Do you really think the lack of an indictment "proves" Rove didn't help orchestrate an outing of Plame to punish Wilson or that it should end any speculation that he did so? Which is more likely here: that he did or did not? You don't have to worry about jeopardizing his right to a fair trial here because, either way, he isn't going to get one.

Hello Fairweather and Archy: we are talking about a political figure with a long and well known background, and not some poor schmoe accused of a misdemeanor. Do you really think the lack of an indictment "proves" Rove didn't help orchestrate an outing of Plame to punish Wilson or that it should end any speculation that he did so? Which is more likely here: that he did or did not? You don't have to worry about jeopardizing his right to a fair trial here because, either way, he isn't going to get one.

No, I do not think that the lack of an indictment "proves" innocence or guilt. Let me reiterate:

My (limited) understanding of the legal process so far was only to decide whether to press charges against Rove or not: not to proclaim his innocence or guilt.

Fair enough, Archy.

We will continue to be forced to speculate because the unprecedented level of secrecy, spin and manipulation of the press employed by this Administration gives us scant little "factual" information to go on.

The burden of proof lies where? I was simply responding to a post (Foraker's) that claimed grand jury secrecy laws amounted to yet another alleged conspiracy.