G. Teton - mixed - July

OlegV

Planning my first climbing trip to Teton range in early July. Interested in moderately hard mixed routes, like Black Ice and Enclosure Couloir. Anybody climbed these or similar routes in July? I heard it gets much icier later in season. Is July too early for this?

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Ice Couloir is now the Black Dirt Couloir. Talk to the ranger, but it started shrinking years ago and finally didn't form up in the past few years. NE Ice Couloir of the Middle Teton is sweet and still forms. Middle Teton Glacier is probably a bit less steep and less committing. A personal favorite that you will likely not find people on are the SW Chutes of Teewinot. A snow route, not ice. Spoon couloir on Disappointment is a fun warmup.

Good luck on finding Black Ice Couloir in shape. it has been melting out for the last several years. Call Teton mountain Guides or Exum and see if anyone has done it. You would still have to summit via another route, since Black Ice only gets you to the Upper saddle.

There is a great variation of the owen_Spalding route just before the belly crawl that is a nice 5.9 crack in a psuedo chimney. It is pretty short, but way nicer than the belly crawl option.

If you aren't finding any ice, you can always go into the ice caves in Idaho!!!

Thanks! I'll probably need to get a book first and read up on the routes you recomended before asking stupid questions. Biving in snow caves in Idaho! What a cool idea smile.gif Does it mean the ice got thinner all other the Tetons Range, or just the south-facing slopes? Global warming sucks.

FWIW, last year, the Black Ice did come into shape in near classic form last year (a reliable source told me), and with this year's good snowpack, the word is that it has a great chance of coming in again, this year.

I have a climbing partner in Wyoming; he said that he plans on keeping his eye on things. Albrects Alley is one on his "to do" list, and he plans on getting it done this year.

Planning my first climbing trip to Teton range in early July. Interested in moderately hard mixed routes, like Black Ice and Enclosure Couloir. Anybody climbed these or similar routes in July? I heard it gets much icier later in season. Is July too early for this?

Thanks!

Totally depends on the winter snowpack and weather this spring/summer. The climbing rangers there know their shit and are your best source. Jenny Lake Ranger Station: 307-739-3343

Hmm, just called the Jenny Lake Ranger Station and EXUM. Both are sceptical about any ice presence in the Black Ice Couloir in July. They had hot June. Maybe on the Enclosure couloir and the Northwest couloir of Middle Teton.

I am thinking the North Face of Grand Teton should be in better shape. Any experiences up there in summer?

I gotta say... for another 4 hours of driving you could be in the CAN rockies...

I have to agree! The following pics were all taken in early July. I love the Tetons... but for the rock not the snow.

ec1.jpg

Edith Cavell

ad04.jpg

Andromeda

c23.jpg

Columbia

PS... I believe John's photos are from Astroid Alley on Andromdea.