A very sad week

Mike_Gauthier

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Randy Grandstaff ‘s qualification (didn't he have a great deal of Cascade mountaineering experience, but little more than that?) but I believe that an analysis of the accidents on Liberty Ridge over the years will support the conclusion that most of the accidents happen with parties whose members have little experience on routes of that size and seriousness (few other Cascade climbs even come close and there is nothing like it in California or Colorado). The ridge is 6,000 feet high, it is steep enough that a fall from just about anywhere on it could result in a death-fall, and most parties who climb it are not comfortable with the idea of down-climbing the route. Carrying big packs, many parties climb very slowly and this leaves them more exposed to falling objects and possible weather problems; and many are tempted to stay put or try to push over the top rather than to retreat when things go sour. So inexperience may not be the correct word, but in the case of Liberty Ridge, many parties are indeed minimally "qualified" in my opinion.

Randy Grandstaff died in a rappelling-related 150' fall in Red Rocks 2 weeks ago. Nothing related to Liberty Ridge/Mt Hood troubles.

according to things I have read he climbed K2, trained Navy Seals, ran a guiding operation, had been climbing for over 20 years.

[ 06-12-2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: fern ]

Sounds like the only Inexperienced climbers die in climbing accidents. We all take chances when we climb. Lets just not lead other people into the mountains who should not be in the mountains. We see them all the time. That belayer pulling a student up Winter Spire. That kid last year on Snoq. pass who left his uncle half way up then tried to continue solo. The 9 people who where dumped into the crevasse on Hood. I assume all of these incidents had problems that started at the car. Be aware of your climbing party. They are the difference between life and death. Pick them wisely!

a lot has been said on this post, some good, some bull... but this statement is on the money..."Be aware of your climbing party. They are the difference between life and death. Pick them wisely!"

i always say this, "if you're not climbing alone, then the most important decision you make is whom you are climbing with..."

mike

[ 10-21-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Mike Gauthier ]

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

quote:

Originally posted by mtngrrrl:

At least get the grammar correct.

I'll bet that 9 out of 10 people do not know the difference between "your" and "you're".

I see you're point...your absolutely right [Wink]

ah, the pendants speak! have you ever tented with a pedantic partner?

here are a few of my favorites...

“can i go with?”

“where are you going to?”

i once got a ticket from a cop that stated i was going "to fast." ever been there before?

sorry for the typo folks; what do they pay for grammar checking on the internet anyway? i want to make sure your efforts are reported to the proper authorities...

“no" what “maters.” (spelling check please?)

[smile]

mike

Good lord have people actually lightened up around here???

Mike, grammar checking is strictly a voluntary activity, though some take it more seriously than others: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

I, personally, chose not to associate with such wankers (to coin a phrase).

Since I have you on the (on)line, did you know that the message on the cc.com home page is very out of date?

Reported Route Conditions as of April 26, 2002:

Reported by Mike Gauthier in Climber's Wall

Any chance on an update?