Trekking poles

godawgs

Earlier in the week I returned a pair of BD Compact trekking poles to REI after I snapped one coming down snow. A friend of mine also had problems with BD poles, her's just bent though, didn't break.

I was wondering if others have had similar problems, and what poles have worked better...Leki, Komperdell(spelling?), Rei. Before buying some more i wanted to know what's worked best for others. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the BD traverse treking poles, and Leki Makalu Classic three section trekking poles (from 95 or so).

The Leki model (at least the ones I had) tended to collapse in cold weather. Something about the tightening mechanism simply didn't work if it was below 40 degrees out. It was very annoying.

The BD models did not have that problem. I did bend one in a fall last summer, but I don't know what pole wouldn't bend/break in the situation. (I had a 70+ lb. pack on, the tip was jammed between two rocks, and I fell; if the pole hadn't bent my shoulder would have.) The traverse poles are aluminium, so I just bent it back into shape.

i use the Komperdell REI poles. I snapped one in half once falling in a boulder field but REI just replaced the broken part. I've beat the hell out of them. One of them got stuck but the REI guy fixed it for me today so I think I'll be able to squeeze a little more life out of them. I had ordered some new ones but they were much heavier than the ones I have now so I returned them.

I had a pair of BD poles. They are solid, and the flicklock stays put. The ones I had also had a push button locking device for the lower 1/3 and this was very problematic for me.

I agree that the twist locks get finicky under lots of temp changes, but the design is simple and easy to work on.

For now, I am sticking to Leki.

-r

I was looking at the BD Compact Contour $80Cdn and the BD Expedition poles $67Cdn at MEC. The Expedition poles seemed a lot sturdier and stiffer when you placed a lot of weight on them plus they scope down to like 57cm versus 65cm on the Compacts. The Compact Contours seemed a bit more flexy or whippy so I went with the Expeditions. I'll post a review after I put a summer on them.

I witnessed same thing on our approach to Wedgemount lake this spring. My friend broke his BD trekking pole (brand new). Pole snapped at the fat spot.

It's amazing! No bend at all, just snap. Looks like he used the saw.

I have recently retired my LEKI Alto model after 6 years of abuse. They are bent that much that I have difficulties even to pull out lower section. Tips are slightly bend too but no damage at all. I lost flakes two seasons ago and there is no point to buy new ones. Tiny spots where they will hold is smooth as metal section. I used them last summer without baskets.

Two days ago I bought MSR poles for $30CAD. Model is Overland 1 done by Gabel in Italy.

I hope they will last half the time of my Alto's.

BTW,

I have BD Traverse for skiing. I am not impressed.

Zoran

Edited by Zoran

That's crazy. I've never heard or seen anything but good of the BD poles. I have a set of the Traverses that I bought in '01, and I've never had a real issue with them. The aluminum does corrode, so it helps to wipe them with an oily rag here and there, but other than that, they've been dead solid. And they haven't had an easy life.

After seeing a multitude of problems with twistlock poles, I'll stick with the BD flicklocks. But that's just me.

I brake about 2 pairs of poles a year. REI hates me.

Damn you for abusing the return policy. boxing_smiley.gif Thanks to people like you, the only way REI can make money now is by selling outdoor fashionwear instead of gear. mad.gif

I broke the lower section on some BD Expedition poles, and bent the lower section on another pair of BD Enduro CF poles. Replacement pole sections are easy to get (and ship fast)and pretty inexpensive. I've used Komperdell, Life-Link, Leki, BD, and more, and I think all poles have their limits, no matter the manufacturer. Don't treat them like they're indestructible and they'll probably last you a good long time.

Hey! I bought them there, they broke, and under their 100% satisfaction policy, i returned them. It's their own fault for having that policy. That's like saying I shouldn't cash in my income tax return, so taxes will be lower....not that i've had income tax in the past 4 years