Identity Theft

luwayo

I had my identity stolen from computer records at Central Washington University after I took a summer course there. Some guy on the faculty harvested a bunch of ids off the computer, married the males with the females, made up offspring, and applied for social security for the kids. I received a letter from a prosecutor in Seattle because the schmuck got caught. No financial impact on me, but it certainly took me by surprise! I now own a shredder, but one can only do so much to protect oneself.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my identity stolen from computer records at Central Washington University after I took a summer course there. Some guy on the faculty harvested a bunch of ids off the computer, married the males with the females, made up offspring, and applied for social security for the kids. I received a letter from a prosecutor in Seattle because the schmuck got caught. No financial impact on me, but it certainly took me by surprise! I now own a shredder, but one can only do so much to protect oneself.

Just wait till they come after you for child support.

my Wells Fargo checking account was nailed for $700+ dollars using my debit card number about 2 years ago while I was unemployed. transaction was done on WesternUnion.com and the money was transferred overseas somewhere.

A simple affidavit and a few phone calls got me my money back. WF has been great with a few things like this.

I keep a very close watch on my charges now and shred EVERYTHING religiously. I do alot of shopping online, but only with reputable companies and more often using PayPal when it's an option.