Looking for advice and possibly partner

thelorax

new to the area (seattle) moved from mammoth. looking to do a little more skiing this year but unsure about everything (snowpack, conditions, routes, best time to ski things around here) did lots of backcountry in the sierras. so looking for some advice about where to start. dont have a job yet so lots of time. if someone could recommend what is still holding snow and the conditions or possibly a good guide book for the area it would be much appreciated. thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Burgdorfer (lookup Rainer Burgdorfer on Amazon.com) and crank away. Also, lookup www.turns-all-year.com for more of a skiing website, but a few of us here also post there too.

As far as right now, skiing (at least for me) is kind of winding down. Most things right now you will have to hike into with skis on your pack, but that's not to say there isn't still much to be had. Freshiez are going to be hard to come by though.

I skied a continuous run of almost 9,000' vertical yesterday. Skiing is so NOT winding down. wazzup.gif

Oh yeah, I DID have to carry my skis the whole way up it. cry.gif

MORE ON TOPIC: The best time to ski things around here is NOW. June in the northwest is a steep skiing paradise.

The snowpack here is generally bomber. It's fairly predictable. This time of year, watch for the super slushy so you don't take a ride! Ski it early. In the winter, the majority of avalanche danger is during and immediately after the big storms. There are obviously many caveats that go with these statements...

I'd say it's volcano skiing season right now, and the volcanoes are a good introduction to skiing in the Cascades. On Rainier the Inter Glacier is good, and so is the Fryingpan Glacier. The south side of Baker is another good trip as are the SW chutes on Adams.

Any of the higher peaks are going to have plenty of snow on them right now. Consider Shuksan and the Cascade Pass area in addition to those destinations listed above. The Stuart Range, too. The SW Chutes on Adams should be good for another month.

Heck, I even had a full day of suprisingly good skiing from the bumper up at Snoqualmie Pass this past weekend. As Sky notes, the snowpack gets at least fairly predictable around now. The days are long (though you do risk the super slushy by fully exploiting their length). The weather is often nicer than in winter. So higher, longer tours become more inviting (not that my lazy-butt venture from the bumer on Saturday qualified as such).