Liberty Ridge 5/28-6/2

JasonG

The route is in prime condition right now. A party of four of us climbed it the last few days and had about as perfect of a trip as could be imagined. Mostly steep snow with bucket steps (thanks, whomever is responsible!), but with enough neve and ice to make things interesting. A nice trail is worked in all the way to Thumb rock, so route finding on the glaciers is pretty darn easy. I'd never been on that side of Rainier before and I was pretty blown away by the position of the route. Completely classic in every respect!! We had perfect weather and almost no wind, all in all making the trip one of my very best.

On another note, It looks like the snow pack on the route (above Thumb Rock) is very thin and will melt away mostly to ice in the next few weeks if we have some warm weather. This will make things probably quite a bit tougher that what we experienced.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Heinrich:

The route is in prime condition right now.

[hell no]

Are you serious?

I guess you can thank the 3 people who perished on the route last week, they kicked the steps above the Thumb.

[ 06-03-2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Flat Lander ]

Idiot?? Are YOU guys serious?? People died, true. That does not change the fact the route is in great shape to climb right now. The weather was nice and we had a fun climb. I am sorry about what happened in the few days before our climb, however I am not sorry that we climbed it.

What's up with the name calling????????? Calm down and go climb something while the weather is still good.

Oh, and I don't think those that died did most of the step kicking. Most of the new snow fell in the storm that killed them. We saw that there were about 25 climbers ahead of us climbing the route on Friday and Saturday. That was who I intended to thank and was not trying to make some underhanded jab at those who perished.

No disrespect to those poor folks...

But you two assume that those three unfortunate climbers who got caught on the summit last weekend were the last party to climb Liberty Ridge. Is this true??? Maybe, but I think not. According to a post I read earlier today, another party summited shortly afterward. Regardless, do you believe the Ridge is somehow cursed and should not be spoken off due to last weeks events. Get real...

Thanks for the info Henrich, way to get after it! Nice climb!

Okay, maybe I didn't need to call you an idiot. But if you knew about last week's incident, why the comment about thanks to whoever put in a boot track? Obviously, you climbing the route after the fact had nothing to do w/ them, but your post seemed somewhat disrespectful. Just my opinion. Glad you had good weather and had no problems as they did.

I say that because we saw them climbing up to the Thumb. They were 1/2 a day ahead of us and we turned around after an avalanche came down just to the west of the Ridge. I didn't even think about you seeing people ahead of you. The posting just seemed a little oblivious to the events from last week.

As we were coming out of the park I did say to my partner, "Man, I hope nothing bad happend while we were away for 3 days". So, I guess it is possible not to have heard all of the hoopla.

Congratulations on the climb ... I'm a little jealous.

hey no fuck- your post was way out of line. why name calling on that one. you are an asshole too. welcome to the club. the only differance is that i just pretend to be one and you are just another wanker gaper wanna-be.

I climbed the route with Heinie and it was truly fabulous. We did think about the climbers who died, but it was hard to be morbid on such a perfect, blue sky weekend. Plus, we were watching the weather with hawk-like intensity.