Feelings of Guilt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cell phones. well one more thing joe. maybe they are a trap. maybe if these guys on baker were not rescued and had to deal with the situation (and survive)they would think twice before doing something like that again. you can be 5 minutes from a parking lot wth you cell phone and still die. the point is that recent accidents just show that people treat mountains too lightly. they think they can get into a troble, whip out their cell phone and get rescued. maybe if they didn't have it they would be more cautious. like i said you give polish climbers bad rep.

...and the climbers on Rainier earlier this week had no cell phone. Would the second and third climbers have died if there was a communication link? And the climbers on Baker weren't calling in a rescue (on their two way radios). Once again, Bob, the facts make you the fool. Hubris exacts a high price- sometimes it causes people to continue on routes that will prove deadly, and maybe in your case it will keep you from calling in a rescue, since you are self-reliant and solo every route you do. People treat many things too lightly, driving, boating, recreational drugs and they get into all kinds of trouble. You won't change human nature by bitching about it. So give it some real thought (if you're capable of such) and see if there is something constructive you can do other than scream that only gapers with cell phones die on the mountain.

jey joe, you are aleways right, every one else is a fool. red monk is a fool, i am stupid. guess what, i really don't give the shit what some pseudo polish dork thinks about me. i just pointed to the couple of facts. and as far as calling for rescue on baker- talk to bellingham herald- that's where the info was from. you are an arm chair wanker gaper and this is my last post on that subject. you turned this into a pissing contest, totally counter productive. you also screamed at every one else who doeesn't think the way you do- redmonk and others. it just points to the fact that your ego is so fucking large you miserable puffter. the reason i did post my stuff was so people stop and think for a second. maybe some gumby will read it and think twice before going somewhere where they can get killed. for some reason people have hard time taking time out and think. and it's not about who is smarter, who is the best. what's YOUR motivation fader? just reading your post gives the answer.....

HEY BOB,

your points are pretty valid. though your delivery of them isn't. ain't no one gonna listen to your blow hard ways and repsect them. in all acutality it probably pushes more people away from your ideas. even for the most part i share your ideals.....

i know you don't care and all, cause thats how you like it. but when you get the chop and everyone remembers you are they gonna say, "dang that bob guy was a real pleasent fellow who could crank hard, it's too bad he is gone". or are they gonna say "thank god, that asshole has finally left us in peace"

take it easy, you might not end up being soo pissed all the time....

In retrospect, I no longer feel guilt. I do, however, feel sadness. I think that it is the responsibility of all climbers to help those in dire straits when (and if) we are aware of the situation. But only if we do not put ourselves beyond our own comfort level of risk. IE; if we have to compromise a summit attempt to save a life, so be it, but if we are only going to add to the casuality list, we should not.

If I understand Redmonk correctly, I agree. A cell phone, an un-anchored rope or any other thing for that matter should never be used for a security blanket or to increase the comfort level of a party so that they can justify climbing something harder. I'm sure that the use of ropes on the Hood accident added to the tragedy.

Thank you all for the heart felt responses to my posting. If any one claims that cc.comers are just a bunch of posing, spray fest, ego maniacs all they have to do is read this thread...especially pre-cell phone arguement.

Good Climbing - TG

PS - If some one feels any need to spray further on this thread or to me, do it somewhere else or via a PM, please.

[ 06-03-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

Bob,

I didn't read any B-ham newspaper articles, but the two guys on Baker are my buddies, I've posted about it several times on this site, they did not call in a rescue, and when they did make contact w/ someone it wasn't using a cell phone. I noticed watching Seattle area news that the reporting wasn't particularly accurate, so I might take a guess that the B-ham paper was lacking some of the facts as well. I don't remember my friends saying anything about being interviewed by the B-ham Herald. So anyway, next time you bust out "the facts" from a podunk local paper, be prepared for someone trumping you w/ info from much closer to the source, or the source itself. [geek]

thanks TG....fuck off eric....you are one to point out shitty delivery....you called me a kid when i took on all you fuking assholes....now i got a few people backing me up and you are the one resorting to namecalling once again.... come again...who is the kid? uh huh...that's what i thought....moderator my ass...more like shit disturber..... [Moon]