Bitten at Tieton

olyclimber

Someone was bitten by a rattlesnake right at the top of his climb at Royal Columns yesterday. We heard him yelling, and seriously did not believe it could be true. Apparently, right as he was topping out, a snake was sunning right at the top, and bit him in the finger. Hope you were/are OK! I'm thinking about adding a bite kit to my pack next time I go out there.

On the hike out I came across another one just off the path who rattled away at me. I have a wierd thing about snakes, and I just about had a siezure when I saw it, but the climbing was fun so I think I'll just to figure out how to deal with snakes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly the snakiest place I've ever climbed, though the snakes diminish as you move up the canyon (lots at Royal Columns, some at the Bend, and I've never seen any higher up). I've seen them at the top, at the base, and on the trail, but I'd never heard of anyone actually being bitten! Yikes.

Most species of rattlesnakes have hemotoxic venom, destroying tissue, degenerating organs and disrupting blood clotting. Rattlesnakes have the most potent hemotoxic venom of any snake, making them one of the most dangerous snakes in the world. A few other snakes have stronger venom, but the large amounts of venom rattlers can inject make their bites one of the worst. Some degree of permanent scarring is very likely in the event of a venomous bite, even with prompt, effective treatment, and a severe envenomation, combined with delayed or ineffective treatment, can lead to the loss of a limb and usually death. Thus, a rattlesnake bite is always a potentially serious, or even fatal, injury. Untreated rattlesnake bites, especially from larger species, are usually fatal. However, antivenom, when applied in time, reduces the death rate to less than 4%.

The venom of the Mojave Rattler is the most potent - its LD-50 is comparable to an Indian Cobra. Large Diamondback rattlers, while having considerably less potency by volume than other species such as the Mojave or Midget Faded rattlesnakes, possess a large enough volume of venom to kill several hundred humans.

Some rattlesnakes, especially the tropical species, have neurotoxic venom. A bite from these snakes can interfere with the function of the heart, paralyze the lungs, and shut down parts of the nervous system. Bites by neurotoxic species such as the Mojave Rattlesnake should be field treated by wrapping the bitten area with an elastic bandage to impede the spread of the poison for as long as possible. This is not a tourniquet, and should be wrapped only as tightly as one would wrap a sprain (it should be possible to slip a finger between the bandage and the limb). The goal is to impede the subcutaneous circulation of the venom. Tourniquets are not recommended for any type of snakebite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake

First aid

When a bite occurs, the amount of venom injected cannot be gauged easily. Symptoms and swelling may occur quickly, but in some cases hours may pass before serious effects appear.

Experienced health workers typically gauge envenomation in stages ranging from 0, when there is no evident venom, to 5, when there is a life-threatening amount of venom present. The stages reflect the amount of bruising and swelling around the fang marks and the speed with which that bruising and swelling progresses. In more severe envenomation cases (stage 4 or 5) there may also be proximal symptoms, such as lip-tingling, dizziness, bleeding, vomiting, or shock.

Quick medical attention is critical, and treatment typically requires antivenin/antivenom to block the tissue destruction, nerve effects, and blood-clotting disorders common with rattlesnake venom. Most medical experts recommend keeping the area of the bite below the level of the heart. It is important to keep a snake bite victim calm in order to avoid elevating their heart rate and accelerating the circulation of venom within the body. Untrained individuals should not attempt to make incisions at or around bite sites, or to use tourniquets, as either treatment may be more destructive than the envenomation itself.

Venom removal kit at REI

Medical Encyclopedia entry about snake bites.

If you are a frequent hiker, consider purchasing a snakebite kit (available from hiking supply stores.) Do not use older snakebite kits, such as those containing razor blades and suction bulbs. Newer kits, such as those made by Sawyer, may be of value.

The survival of Rattlesnakes depends on the preservation of their habitat. Entire populations can be destroyed with the loss of a single hibernaculum. Right now, this species is not in danger of extinction. As with most of our reptiles, however, their habitat is restricted to one of the most heavily populated areas in B.C. In recognition of their sensitivity to habitat loss, Rattlesnakes are blue-listed provincially, meaning they are a species of special concern.

Another threat faced by these snakes is human fear and persecution. Rattlesnakes are valuable predators, and likely an important control agent for some species of small mammals. By learning about Rattlesnakes, and sharing that knowledge with others, we can all help dispel fears about these unique snakes.

Typically venom removal kits are not very effective. Rapid transport to the hospital via EMS is a better option. As the venom travels in the lymphatic system under the skin rather than the blood stream, a rubber band should be placed on the bitten limb above the site of the bite to slow the venoms progress. The victim should be kept calm and avoid exertion and be immediately transported to the hospital for anti-venom treatment. If possible the snake should be killed and taken with the victim for identification purposes.

Both the Royal Columns, and this time of year, are incredibly bad for rattlers. I think a buddy and I ran into no less than 30 on a single walk off.

"Hey - watch out for the rattler over there!"

[rattle]

"This one?"

[rattle]

"No, it was a couple of feet to the left."

"Okay"

[rattle]

Insane. It was like being in the middle of a bad cross between the "Snake Pit" scene in Indiana Jones, and a Monty Python skit.

I had a small snake tumble into my hands while I was soloing in Virginia once -- I have a thing about snkaes!

I also encountered a king snake writhing around inside a finger crack which my wife led down at Granite Mtn in Arizona, as I was following the pitch...

Did the guy fall once bitten, or did he somehow choose to hang on?

I don't know if he fell off, but he was wasn't injured from falling. Just has a bleeding fingertip. I didn't notice any venom, but then I haven't seen the venom before. I have to admit that I would have responded completely differently knowing what I know now.

It was so bizarre I actually thought the guy was joking, and that he had just ripped his finger open on a sharp crack or something. Hope he got to the hospital soon after that.

Everyone knows that guns are aid, but anything goes in the alpine! the_finger.gif

Aside from dispatching snakes and the occasional young snaffle-hound, they are also useful for testing slide-prone slopes, freeing stuck ropes, and encouraging your partner not to back down from his lead!

I had heard somewhere that icing a bitten limb is a good way to slow tissue damage while you get to the hospital. Is there anyone who can comment on that?

Last time I was at Tieton my partner started leading a pitch and it was only then that we noticed the baby rattlesnake only 4 feet from my belay spot. That little guy sure made it hard for me to maintain my focus.

Weird, I've heard very different things about rattlesnake bites. What I've heard is:

-It's not a good idea to constrict or reduce circulation around the area of the bite, as there is some benefit to the venom circulating around -- the hemolytic effect will be broader and less concentrated.

-Most of the time antivenin is withheld because it won't act in time, and the bite isn't life-threatening. It's super-expensive, I've heard.

-Snakebite kits are pieces of shit.

Anyone really know the story?