Tilly Jane Road Conditions?

RogerJ

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last weekend we went up hoping to find the road melted out more than two weeks before. We made it beyond inspiration point about 3/4 of a mile and found a new outback parked by the downed tree. Those guys left before I found the tow strap and pulled that tree out of the way. We were grinning about that untill around the next turn there was another even bigger tree! We parked and booted up the trail all the way to cloud cap and found fairly big drifts (3-4 feet on the uphill side tapering to the low side) most of the way up.

I've got no idea how long it'll take to melt out but who ever goes up next might do a community service and bring a chainsaw!

Ivan, theres a big left tending hairpin with a gate and a sign identifying it as 'inspiration pt' I'm not sure as to the road milage but I think from where we parked its about 2 or so miles up the trail (which cuts accross all the road switchbacks) to cloud cap/tilly jane. As far as booting from the start, I'd say go ahead if you like hiking, but I'd drive up as far as you can and then start...

Hey bill, what ranger told you that? Didn't think it would be illegal to drive on a road thats open. I seem to remember that last year there were reports from the FS of the road being all rutted up and in horrible condition, and then a week later I drive up and its in fine shape, I wonder if the FS is trying to spread rumors to keep people off the road?

• 3 weeks later...

I went up to the snow dome yesterday and the way down found a FS crew working their way up the road, cutting trees as they went. they thought they might get done yesterday which would mean the road might be open now...

As far as where the trail starts, that kinda a trick question. It kinda starts and stops each time it crosses the road. Basically it cuts straight up the middle of all the switch backs, so from how ever far you can drive just hike from there and watch for a trail heading up the fall line and thats it. If you're parking at the Inspiration point gate its a hundred yards or so on the right with a sign saying 'wagon road trail' (or maybe 'wagon trail' I can't remember) It's really obvious, except that some of the road crossing are kinda offset and when snow covered (not anymore for this year) you might have to look around a bit to find the trail cut.

If the roads still not open don't let the extra hiking stop you, it's only a couple miles extra and the reward is sweet!