Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Did anybody get Liberty Ridge?

Recommended Posts

I'm hoping to do Liberty Ridge next weekend and looking for current conditions. Sounds like the road is open to the fork to the White River Campground. Has anybody been in there this season? I was up in the Chiwaukums and the snow conditions sucked, so I'm hoping for better conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather looks okay, but we'll have to see how it develops. I'm just wondering if we'll need snowshoes for the approach. I spent the weekend trudging through calf-deep slop in the Chiwaukums and kept wishing for my ski gear. The approach from White River looks long enough for snow conditions to play a major roll in our success, aside from any avalanche considerations. Hopefully somebody got in there this weekend - even on the Emmons - and can give me the scoop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike,

My partner and I kicked in a trail from White River CG on Friday. We didn't access the ridge because of the unstable weather but did make it to about 8200ft on the Carbon Glacier. The snow was soft but there were lots of people on the trail by the time we exited the area on Sunday. Barring any new accumulations of snow there should be a decent trail all the way to Liberty Ridge. We did see one team climb to Thumb Rock on Sat, well I couldn't actually see them with all the snow and fog, but I did hear their triumphant cheers at about 7PM.

 

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike,

 

Why not wait for better approach conditions and more stable weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it! See Heinrich's post. The weather was looking dubious earlier last week, but it all came together and we had perfect conditions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×