Training survey: how much, how often, methods....

How often do you train?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you train?

This is, of course, for down-time periods, or bad weather periods, where you're not expecting to head out anytime soon. Trying to see where I'm at in the grand spectrum of things. I do what I can, with the time and energy that I have (I work a weird, on-call night shift that seriously affects my rest, and motivation); somehow, I feel I'm probably in the middle.

So, here's the questions.

How often do you train?

How many hours per week?

What methods do you use?

Do you use supplemenal nutrition (no, Ivan, not the illegal kind mushsmile.gif)? Example: Glutamine, Creatnine, Protein shakes...multivitamins need not apply. Anything, say, you might need to get from GNC, or a specialty store.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A random poll seems rather pointless. The skills levels and interest of people vary so much that its not going to mean anything. Rumor isn't going to train the same way as someone whose primary interest is ski mountaineering for example.

unless you just wanted to compare how dedicated you where verus EVERYONE else which again seems pointless.

A random poll seems rather pointless. The skills levels and interest of people vary so much that its not going to mean anything. Rumor isn't going to train the same way as someone whose primary interest is ski mountaineering for example.

unless you just wanted to compare how dedicated you where verus EVERYONE else which again seems pointless.

Sorry you're not interested, Eric. I should've added that this is a cardio-power/cardio-endurance type of poll, intended for alpine training.

I'm not to interested with who I train more, or less, than...just getting a feeler. Obviously, it's not a scientific poll, not intended to be put to serious use.

Thanks for the input, Ade.

okay than. It just seem's that it would be better to ask what specificially has worked for people vs what everyone does. I'm guessing that most peoples training programs you don't want to repeat. And than there is the issue of what exactly qualifies as training. I know i guy who plays rec. soccer 2-3 nights a week and he can be hard to keep up with. And folks who backcountry ski almost every week seem to have above average cardio. but niether of these might classifiy as training. Additionally the best training is simply climbing so how does that fit in cantfocus.gif.

but if your not intending to use it than, whatever. Oh and I supplement my diet with a daily dose of chocalate chip cookies.

The person who has the most fun training......

The only supplement I use is Glucosamine w/Chondritan & MSM for the knees. When I can't run for whatever reason, I use my stairmaster for 45 minutes. It is a great cardio workout.

Thanks, Doug. Have you seen a good result from that, or is it just assumed that it works? I tried it for a while, but didn't see anything clear-cut.

FYI, I train 3-4 days a week. I do 4-6 hours (used to be more when I could get away to hike. Now, I strapped to my pager. Keeps me closer to home).

I do mostly trail running these days, with biking here and there, and supplement it by trashing out the legs once a week with weights. I also use the rock gym as a form of training, but I don't put that time toward the calculated 4-6 hours. I figure it doesn't count that much toward alpine training.

I do use Glutamine for recovery, and if I remember in time, I'll supplement with OKG (Orthinine Ketoglutarate) ala Twight before workouts.

If I ever get away from this weird work schedule, I'll go back to hiking long distances.

Thanks, Doug. Have you seen a good result from that, or is it just assumed that it works? I tried it for a while, but didn't see anything clear-cut.

FYI, I train 3-4 days a week. I do 4-6 hours (used to be more when I could get away to hike. Now, I strapped to my pager. Keeps me closer to home).

This is second-hand information from my best friend (who is a physician):

Only 40-50% of users respond to Gluc/chond treatment. In order to find out if you do respond, you must take the supplement without fail for at least 6 months.

I tried for two years. I didn't find much benefit, especially in relation to the cost.

VW - It's worked pretty well for me. I'm larger (down to 195 now but been up to close to 230). So hypothetically my 46 yo knees should be taking a beating. So far so good. I should mention I began taking it in 1998, just after my second meniscus surgery. YMMV.

I mainly do weight lifting, shoulders, back, core and upper body and tons of eliptical. I'm not convinced the eliptical is a good as running the treadmill, but it at least works my cardiovascular system real well.

Also, I use a general multi-vitamin as that other supplement crap can be supplemented with a healthy diet.

I'm on a three day repeating schedule..

1-45 min bike, stretching, tai chi, low back and core phys. therapy exercises, neck and midback light weights

2- 45 min bike, stretch, tai-chi, climb outdoors or 1 hour at the rock gym

3- alternate stair workout or swim, stretch and tai-chi, pull-ups, dips, push-ups, fingerboard, reverse curls, light shoulder weights.

Every saturday take off completely to rest.

I'm 48 and I take multi vit, fish oil, flax, gluc/chon (never noticed any difference) and I only do sport and trad rock, too old to boulder well and back too bad to carry a real pack.

It helps that I work at a fire department and have a gym and time made available at work for this, but I still can't climb worth a shit!

Thanks very much for the responses. Keep 'em coming. Another question or two

If anyone cares to mention, how about alcohol useage? And, if so, do you feel it affects your performance the next day?

How many days do you take off before an alpine outing that you perceive to be difficult?

2-3 times a week 30 minutes on fully tilted treadmill at a brisk walk, adjusting speed upward as my cardio rhythym catches up. Also running around work with my bags on all day and playing bball or hack at breaks. Don't need the treadmill when we're framing the 2nd floor and roof. Finishing concrete is beneficial before a trip to smith. I'm a step or two quicker over 50 yards than my partner who runs 5 miles 5 times a week. He buries me after the first 30 mins. Racquetball was the most excellent cardio for me, concentrating on working your opponent rather than kill shots, but my elbow didn't hold up. No luck with chondroitin. Hi intensity lo volumn workouts the week before a trip.

Racquetball was the most excellent cardio for me, concentrating on working your opponent rather than kill shots

Ah, but kill shots are too much damn fun. Especially if they got in the way of the ball. yellaf.gif

As for drinking, I have never been good at monitoring my intake. I just make sure that I drink plenty of water before I go to bed. It doesn't always work though like the time my buddy came and picked me up a 6am to go ice climbing and the first thing out of his mouth was, "How much tequilla did you drink last night?" I guess I didn't drink enough water since he could smell my beverage of choice for the night before.

If anyone cares to mention, how about alcohol useage? And, if so, do you feel it affects your performance the next day?

I drink way too much. Does it hurt performance? Probably. Am I willing to give it up? No. bigdrink.gif

Other than that, I find cycling works the best for alpine. I run trails in Forest Park a lot, but I seem to get more benefit from cycling. If I have time, a long ride (2-3 hours) is great. But just this morning I only had an hour, so I left my house, rode downtown to the river then up as hard as I could up Vista to Council Crest them home. Hard as hell, but effective. I'll usually do that 2-4 times/week in addition to a couple of runs and of course whatever I'm doing in the mountains. bigdrink.gif

My baseline training consists of 40 minutes on the stairmaster 3-4 days per week plus a climb/hike with 3K-5K of vertical about once every 2 weeks. This baseline seems to keep me in good enough cardio shape to do pretty much anything, although I become stronger during climbing season (April through July) just because of the climbing. The one issue I have with the stairmaster is lack of focus on the quads. Running is the best training for climbing, but my 45 year old knees just can't take it. I know people that have a lot of success with biking, it's just difficult to keep up in the winter given short days and rainy weather.

Once upon a time, I worked up at OHSU. I used to bike commute up there, and I was in awesome shape.

I've tried the Stairmaster, but I can't stand it. I'd rather use an elliptical. I enjoy trail running, because the uneven surfaces train the small, stabilizing muscles. Of course, I may have a different opinion in five years, when my knees will have had enough punishment from it.

Couloir- Don't give up the dream, brother.

25766.gif

While holding the IPA? Sure, I'll try that.

What's that phone number again? Oh, that's right, 911.

I do agree that facing backwards on the stairmaster would help; someone from Body Results once told me that working the downhill quad strength is trained by walking up stairs backwards for extended periods of time. Now, that sounds fun...

Racquetball was the most excellent cardio for me, concentrating on working your opponent rather than kill shots

Ah, but kill shots are too much damn fun. Especially if they got in the way of the ball. yellaf.gif

Retaliation is just too easy, theres no where to hide in there. My goal was to literally run them in circles around me. Once they start getting tired they always hit it back to the middle and you can just stand there and run them back to front, left to right etc, etc! After a few weeks they get in better shape and return the 'favor'

Hey Chad... how about you do

- 10 push ups or pull ups or 10 minutes of running (or all of it) for every post you make on cc

- 30 push ups or pull ups or 30 minutes of running (or all of it) for every beer you drink and

- 100 fist push ups clenching ice cubes for ever Alaska related post you make

wink.gifwave.gif

Hey Chad... how about you do

- 10 push ups or pull ups or 10 minutes of running (or all of it) for every post you make on cc

- 30 push ups or pull ups or 30 minutes of running (or all of it) for every beer you drink and

- 100 fist push ups clenching ice cubes for ever Alaska related post you make

wink.gifwave.gif

Ha! Sounds like a plan.

Care to follow suit with the Neutrino and windshirt references? yellaf.gifcool.gif