Shoulder problem survey

My shoulder was popping out for a while and pretty painful especially after climbing so about 4 years ago I had surgery to correct it. About three months after the surgery the long head of my biceps tendon ( which was completely healthy pre surgey ) detached and shot down to my elbow. Pretty crazy looking. Apparently the surgeon overheated my shoulder capsule and my tendond essentially boiled it to death. After another surgery to reattach my tendon and 3 and a half years later It's finally getting strong again. I missed way too much climbing over this.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the sympathies, I was only in Colorado for a couple seasons. I've moved on to lighter snows after a torturous winter in the icy east last year. As for pictures of my shoulder... I do have pictures from during the surgery not very interesting but I'll try and find them. I wish I had a picture from when it first detached. Every time I flexed it looked like I had a tennis ball sitting on the end of my humerus.

Edited by jennie

Hurt my right shoulder in March when I was kayaking.

This is how I messed up my right shoulder about 6 years ago.

I have done nothing to treat the shoulder, and continued normal workouts.

I took this approach as well, and after about 3 months I had only about 70% range of motion. Physio (TENS, thera-bands, tubing, etc.) helped get back the range of motion, but in terms of strength and stability, the joint has never been the same. Ongoing weight training, supplemented with exercises learned from PTs, helps keep it in check, but I manage to aggravate it at least a couple of times per year while skiing or playing hockey.

I fully expect that at some point I'll dislocate it, and that I'll eventually need surgery of some sort. Not a great prospect in light of a PT once telling me that while they've pretty much figured out how to rebuild knees, shoulders are still a bit of a crap shoot. frown.gif

That's not entirely true.

The shoulder is just a much less stable, and also more complicated joint (glenohumeral jt, AC jt, SC jt, Scapular-humeral rythm) than the knee.

But arthroscopic surgery has lots of success, but only after conservative Tx has failed...whereas the knee is hard to rehab in meniscus and ACL,MCL,LCL tears.

My shoulders are both doing great these days.

Homecare (stretch,exercise,etc) has helped, but having someone work on it has helped waaaay more. Tx that have helped are: Trigger Point therapy and Pin and Stretch. Ultrasound. Cold Laser. The electrical modalities in the muscle contraction range (SINE, High Volt, IFC). And to a large extent: PNF patterns active and passive and with exercise equiptment such as the B.O.I.N.G. and the BodyBlade. Finally upper thoracic and cervical adjustments are immensely helpful for me.

I'm sure it'll flare up again, but it beats the knife. I'll only have it operated on if I am unable to perform tasks and two months of conservate Tx fails.

Tx that have helped are: Trigger Point therapy and Pin and Stretch. Ultrasound. Cold Laser. The electrical modalities in the muscle contraction range (SINE, High Volt, IFC). And to a large extent: PNF patterns active and passive and with exercise equiptment such as the B.O.I.N.G. and the BodyBlade. Finally upper thoracic and cervical adjustments are immensely helpful for me.

In English, please? cantfocus.gif