Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Skisports

Liberty Ridge 24th-26th

Recommended Posts

I was looking at doing liberty ridge this weekend. This weather this weekend do you think it will produce a lenticular cloud or the cloud level will be around 10,000. I would hate to be at thumb rock in shitty weather and not get the route. I would rather be at skaha. So whats your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really think an opinion will help you out here. either wait for good weather or go up there and check it out. Just my opinion [Eek!]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being someone who's been caught in the storm at Thumb Rock before (by the way, the weather forecast we had the day we left was dead wrong, we never woulda intentially gone for the climb in bad weather) I cannot recommend highly enough that you should wait for good weather. Descending from Thumb Rock and traversing the Carbon and Winthrop glaciers in a near white out was one of the most fucked up experiences of my life.

Go find someplace sunny to hang out this weekend and save Lib. Ridge for another day...my two cents.

 

[ 05-23-2002, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: pete a ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amen. We descended from thumb rock in a storm last May. Five inches of fresh snow made for less than ideal avalanche conditions; whiteout made for less than ideal glacier navigation on the Carbon. I imagine Lib. Ridge to be amazing in good conditions, but in bad weather........sport climbing at smith starts to sound enticing!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, opted out for liberty ridge but did do liberty bell and help rescue people out of the fire in wintrop. all in all a good weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×