Diameter of Prusik when used with 8.1 mm rope?

AaronB

Sorry, I tried to search as I know this must have come up a million times before, but couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering what diameter prusik, people would use with 8mm rope. The ones I am currently using slip way too much, even with many loops.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Tibloc isn't the answer to my question. I need something that will be on the rope so I can transfer the weight of my partner to an anchor. Its hard to light up, when you have to stay in self arrest while your partner crawls out of crevasses. Especially when you don't have a lighter, and are using matchheads against your zipper. wink.gif

5mm works great. 6 and up is a little bit fiddly, 4 works very well I just can't bring myself to prussic out on it.

I use part of my texas rig to tie to an anchor initially so that I can get out of arrest position. In this use I would stay with the 5. If all you are doing is preplacing something to transfer with 4 would hold just as well, you'd just have to fiddle a bit to get it released after the transfer.

Prussik might work just as well as a Tibloc in a tie-off situation. However, in my experience, Tiblocs work better than prussik knots when you're climbing out. When climbing up a snowy crevasse wall the prussiks tend to ice up and you have to untie and retie everytime you want to move the knot up.

Use a rule of thumb for prusik cord: 60% - 80% of the host rope. So for 8mm rope, 5 works great & 6 will work but you may want an extra wrap with the 6mm.

This is the answer. According to Rigging For Rescue of Ouray, CO, the ratio of prusik cord diameter to host rope diameter is 2/3 to 3/4.

Use a rule of thumb for prusik cord: 60% - 80% of the host rope. So for 8mm rope, 5 works great & 6 will work but you may want an extra wrap with the 6mm.

This is the answer. According to Rigging For Rescue of Ouray, CO, the ratio of prusik cord diameter to host rope diameter is 2/3 to 3/4.

Mike must have changed the numbers when he bought the company from Kirk. Gotta do something to be different - Typical tongue.gif

cry.gifPractical Limitations: In practice, this knot would be almost impossible to tie under load; shortening one end and resecuring the line would be preferable. As a knot , it cannot pass through blocks or sheaves. In the critical environments presented by climbing, search and rescue, and boating, there are no applications where the Sheepshank would offer a preferred solution cry.gif

in my 37 years of climbing, i still have absolutely no idea how to tie a bowline or have ever wish i knew how to tie one

mike was climbing in those pre-fetal years.

ascent out the birth canal 5.10d R/X ??

Bowline is fast and handy guys.