What's the BEST form of alpine climbing?

plark42

Hey CC'ers.. I am debating as to WHICH aspect of mountaineering to pursue the most.

In your opinion, what is the BEST form of alpine climbing?

1) steep snow

2) technical rock (4-5.?)

3) ice

4) glaciers

5) rock scrambles

6) mixed

I am a big fan of glacier climbing though I am not a fan of steep snow. I want to get into alpine rock but I just don't know...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alpine rock is the most fun. I like routes that involve some glacier travel too. (ie lots of stuff on Stuart.. NEB Goode... etc)

Lots of folks would say that full-on mixed climbing requires the most comprehensive skill set.

How many posts until Dru tells us that the best kind of alpine climbing is the one having the most fun?

Hey CC'ers.. I am debating as to WHICH aspect of mountaineering to pursue the most.

1) steep snow

3) ice

4) glaciers

5) rock scrambles

6) mixed

I am a big fan of glacier climbing though I am not a fan of steep snow. I want to get into alpine rock but I just don't know...

It is like to have pick what is my favorite type of food or my favorite beer. They are all good and they all have their good and bad aspect. It really depends what I am in the mood for. With that said I am usually in the mood for alpine rock routes with a close second being ice. Generally I don't like the walking crap, glaciers are pretty to look at, but all they are is a hike with a lot of equipment.

my 2 cents.

When you change the meaning with a paraphrase, the message is altered.

If you change "The best climber is the one having the most fun" to "Better climbers have more fun" you change the meaning significantly, for instance. Or what if you rearrange "Talk Minus Action Equals Zero" to give "Talk Equals Action"? blush.gifblush.gifshocked.gif

1) steep snow

3) ice

4) glaciers

5) rock scrambles

6) mixed

Here is another equation:

FUN=GOOD

(THEREFORE IF(FORM OF ALPINE CLIMBING)=FUN THEN "FORM OF ALPINE CLIMBING"=GOOD ) FOR EACH FORM

however...if one form (for you) is funner, then:

(THEREFORE IF(FORM OF ALPINE CLIMBING)=FUNNER THEN "FORM OF ALPINE CLIMBING"=BESTEST ) FOR EACH FORM

FORM OF ALPINE CLIMB=GOOD

if talk minus action equals zero then talk equals action you idiot.

T - A = 0

By the additive property of equality it follows that: T = 0 + A

Simplifying: T = A

By the inverse property of equality it follows that: -T = -A

Running that through our Ghetto translator, we get: "If a bitch ain't be havin' no titties, she SHO' NUFF ain't got no ass!"

moon.gif

1) steep snow

3) ice

4) glaciers

5) rock scrambles

6) mixed

Yes.

if talk minus action equals zero then talk equals action you idiot.

T - A = 0

By the additive property of equality it follows that: T = 0 + A

Simplifying: T = A

By the inverse property of equality it follows that: -T = -A

Running that through our Ghetto translator, we get: "If a bitch ain't be havin' no titties, she SHO' NUFF ain't got no ass!"

moon.gif

I see my "moderator notification" didn't seem to take, so I will state: This is a Newbies forum, and I believe that is inappropriate.

Yet another angle in the slippery slope of the CC.Com downslide. thumbs_down.gif

It is like to have pick what is my favorite type of food or my favorite beer. They are all good and they all have their good and bad aspect. It really depends what I am in the mood for. With that said I am usually in the mood for alpine rock routes with a close second being ice. Generally I don't like the walking crap, glaciers are pretty to look at, but all they are is a hike with a lot of equipment.

my 2 cents.

ooo.gif Beer has a bad aspect? Impossible.

Though beer is a good medium to compare the different types of alpine climbing. There's quite a selection.

Some days I feel like having a Stout, most days I feel like having an IPA. Most days, I prefer ice, just like most days I prefer an IPA. Like a Titan IPA. It has an ice climber on the bottle.

titan12ozbtl_100px.jpg

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif