non-technical high traverses in the PNW

Eli3

A few of my friends from out east are coming out the first week of july we're planning a six or seven day trip - we'd like to do a cross country traverse in the PNW or BC, but they do not have the requisite skills for any protected routes. Our primary plan is a variation of the baily traverse, but we'd like a backup in the north cascades or BC if the weather looks crappy in the olympics, any ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find War Creek pass... do a traverse from there, over reynolds peak, over Mcalester peak, South Pass, Mcalester Pass, Rainbow Ridge, Bowan Mountain.... and down to Stehekin or out to Hwy20 from Rainbow Lake. This is the area between lake chelan, the Twisp river headwaters, and Hwy 20.

Howzabout Buck Creek Pass...High Pass...Napeequa...Honeycomb Glacier...Glacier Gap...White Chuck Glacier...White Pass...thence southerly on PCT and out via Bald Eagle/Curry Gap? Pretty country.

I've also long longed to go into Hanging Gardens, Blue Lake, Sinister, etc. from the south and never gotten it together, dammit.

Isolation Traverse

Start at Cascade River Rd, via Eldorado, Backbone ridge, Isolation Pk, Snowfield, out to Hwy 20 via Pyramid lake trail. Lots of stuff to scramble/climb, and no people once past Eldorado.

Ditto Ptarmigan, Bailey

wave.gif

Try the Alpine Lakes High Route from road end of Miller River off HW 2, Trail to Dorothy Lake, then XC to Gold Lake; Chetwood Lake; Azure Lake; LaBohn Lakes; pick up the trail in the Necklace Valley and hike out to the Foss River Road and back to HW 2. Lots of scenery with some snow and small glaciers, but nothing technical. Also there are lots of options to bail should the weather go bad.

Another trip if your new to the Cascades is from Leavenworth, up the Icicle River to Eightmile Creek. Take the trail to Colchuck Lake, XC up though Aasgard Pass to the Enchantment Valley, North through Prusik Pass, Toketie Lake, and descend to Snow Creek (pick up trail here) and out to the Icicle. This is somewhat higher and better weather than the North Cascades. Very scenic and only limited steep snow.

Isolation Traverse

Start at Cascade River Rd, via Eldorado, Backbone ridge, Isolation Pk, Snowfield, out to Hwy 20 via Pyramid lake trail. Lots of stuff to scramble/climb, and no people once past Eldorado.

Ditto Ptarmigan, Bailey

wave.gif

How long would you say this traverse would take an average party to do?

Trinity Trailhead -> Buck Creek Pass -> Suiattle Pass -> Cloudy Pass -> Lyman Lakes -> Spider Gap -> Spider Meadow -> Phelps Creek Trailhead.

Jaw-dropping scenery includes meadows, lakes, glacier, high passes and incredible wildflowers.

-josh

i'm poor and i have the summer off

les claypool once said "funny thing 'bout weekends when you're unemployed - they don't mean so much, 'cept you get to hang out w/ your working friends"

Three years ago I quit my job and spent three months living in tents, on friends' couches, etc. Got to some really pretty areas and did some really cool stuff.

From that I would suggest either the Pasayten or up around Stehekin. Completely different feeling to them but both well worth taking a few days to spend up in those areas.

Oh and whatever you do, don't forget the camera!!! cool.gif

This should get you going...sort of a massively belated TR:

(All very lo-rez. I don't have all night)

Neve Glacier

516440_101_copy.jpg

Eldorado/Backbone Ridge/Isolation Peak

516440_110_copy.jpg

Lake below Isolation Peak

516440_131_copy.jpg

Wilcox Lake

516441_13_copy.jpg

McAllister Glacier

516441_38_copy.jpg

View N from Backbone Ridge crossing to Snowfield Peak

516441_45_copy.jpg

Marble Creek Slope

516441_69_copy.jpg

Marble Creek Slope

516441_86_copy.jpg

Early Morning Spire

516441_110_copy.jpg

Eldorado

516441_111_copy.jpg

Inspiration Glacier

516442_01.jpg

Do it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Buck Creek Pass to High Pass to the Napeequa Valley is an off-trail backpack through absolutely outstanding scenery. Lots of options and potential summits to hit.

Damn! This one is definitely on my to do list. I've been to Little Giant Pass from the north, and been to Liberty Cap from Buck Creek Pass, both times looking down into the Napeequa wishing to make a loop of it, maybe out through Boulder Pass and White River Trail.