Skinny dyneema slings - 2 years later...

JosephH

FYI,

These had been used fairly hard as doubled and tripled trad draws out at Beacon over two seasons plus a trip to Red Rocks. I randomly grabbed two off my rack (all my draws are these slings) and had them tested:

- Short one broke @ 12.93 kN (2902 lbf)

- Long one broke @ 19.85 kN (4466 lbf)

Both failed the full strength standard (4950 lbf) for slings.

I love these things but they're probably only good for a season. Mine are all from Mammut as I like the way they join / finish them, but in light of this info I think of them differently as they're a bit pricier as an annual consumable.

Edited by JosephH

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you have them tested? Are you certain they were tested to the same procedure which they were certified at? Did they show obvious signs of wear, and did they fail at the wear points? I have a few of these that are a few years old as well, just curious if I need to get some new ones. I suppose I could test some myself if I wanted to.

AlpinFox, A friend tested them on their QC test rig. Not a statistical sample by any means, but the testing was done on a rig used for this purpose.

RuMR, I didn't see any untowards wear on the tacking of mine (and they didn't break at the tacking).

TrogdortheBurninator, there were no real visually discernable "wear points" - but they were fairly uniformly "burred/haired out" from use. More testing would be good. I'll probably replace all of mine and have these tested so I'll keep you posted when that happens...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewt...w=&start=15

there is a similar post at rc.com.....a guy from Sterling Ropes did the drop tests....basically spectra and dyneema failed and the nylon ones didn't. somebody suggested something about the tests for slings being a 'slow pull' test rather than a dynamic test.

test results:

Here is a sample of the tests:

11/16" nylon, impact force 18.4kN, held

1" nylon, impact force 21.11kN, held

1/2" Spectra, impact force, 20.02kN, failed

5/8" Spectra, impact force, 19.2kN, failed

10mm Dyneema, impact force, 18.9kN, failed

Still climbin - Hmmm, "stored", they just kicked around with my rack in all the places it went: basement, packs, cars, airplanes, etc. Other than trying to remember to not leave my shoes in the trunk I don't think about how things are stored (nor do I really want to have to worry about such things).

ian - I've got a ton of 20-30 year old nylon supertape slings; I'll throw a couple of them into the mix next time and see how they fair. Thanks for the link...

FYI,

These had been used fairly hard as doubled and tripled trad draws out at Beacon over two seasons plus a trip to Red Rocks. I randomly grabbed two off my rack (all my draws are these slings) and had them tested:

- Short one broke @ 12.93 kN (2902 lbf)

- Long one broke @ 19.85 kN (4466 lbf)

Both failed the full strength standard (4950 lbf) for slings.

I love these things but they're probably only good for a season. Mine are all from Mammut as I like the way they join / finish them, but in light of this info I think of them differently as they're a bit pricier as an annual consumable.

12.93 kN is still strong enough, no? Aren't most cam slings rated at about 16 kN?

Joseph, thanks for doing these tests. I'm sure the results are raising some eyebrows. I'm sure many of us would be interested in seeing the results of a larger test, and as Bill offered, I'd happily contribute some slings too (though mine aren't nearly as old as Bill's smile.gif).

G-spotter, Bill, and Gary - the idea of testing a couple of new/newer ones in the mix is a good one. I'll let you know when I'm going to do the next round and we can see what we can put together. I'll also have to check with my friend as to what he might be will to do as I don't want to overwhelm him either. My main take away from this is that it probably is a bad idea to belay with a grigri/cinch or any other relatively static device when climbing trad on these rascals...

do you fellows ever wash your bandschlingens?

i finished 2.5hrs of taping gear on the weekend, and was wondering about the rather grey coloured floss.

on another note but related to floss, i'm irked by how some of my pieces regularly catch, namely the nano crabs and also the cam pin on my aliens.

Wow, thanks for the information, Joseph. Mine are 3 years old. I did take some full fledged 15+ foot falls this winter on a few of them without notice, but I was starting to consider replacing them anyways. I'll be happy to mail you a stack of dyneema slings next time your doing a test set.

do you fellows ever wash your bandschlingens?

i finished 2.5hrs of taping gear on the weekend, and was wondering about the rather grey coloured floss.

on another note but related to floss, i'm irked by how some of my pieces regularly catch, namely the nano crabs and also the cam pin on my aliens.

better spray it all with tri-flow! evils3d.gif