Hook Creek - do not go up it.

Stefan

I did not do a search so I apologize. Went and climbed The Mole on Saturday.

We went up Hook Creek. The fires in Icicle Canyon several years ago have made this a very difficult approach to the Rat Creek tower group. After you leave the trail to Yellowjacket Tower, you have to go through new vegetation growth and downed trees everywhere up through Hook Creek. It is about 1700 feet of elevation gain through this stuff and it is definitely time consuming. Rat Creek is also not recommended becuase we scoped this out too.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so what would you recommend for an approach route?

what route did you climb on the Mole?

If you do the Rat Creek goup my recommendation now is to start at the Stuart Lake trailhead and walk the abandoned road east, and keep traversing. Yes, there will be some up on the way out, but you will avoid all the brush bashing.

We did the standard SW face route in Nelson's book. Pretty solid route.

you have to go through new vegetation growth and downed trees everywhere up through Hook Creek.

So, when did you move here from Colorado?

The brush and downed trees and worse than most cross country areas around Index. Seriously. Index brush is pretty bad.

If you do the Rat Creek goup my recommendation now is to start at the Stuart Lake trailhead and walk the abandoned road east, and keep traversing. Yes, there will be some up on the way out, but you will avoid all the brush bashing.

We did the standard SW face route in Nelson's book. Pretty solid route.

I would not reccomend going the way you describe. this is also what is described in the Beckey guide. It is far worse than either Rat creek or Hook creek: longer, just as many downed burned logs, and the very real possibility that you won't be able to cross the creek once you get under the mole. From what I've heard the "easiest" way in is via the St. edwards plateau (as per Nelson's guide), but I haven't done it.

The funniest thing about this thread is Pete trying to tell Stefan about the bushwhacking one might find in the Cascades. hahaha.gif

Stefan has probably already shwacked through more brush this year than Pete has done in the last three.

Wow Paul, how the FUCK would you know? Are stalking me? Scary. shocked.gif

Steven,

I have gone all three ways and think the Nelson description is by far the easiest and quickest (also the most pretty). However, I know people who swear by Hook Creek (slaphappy) and others who perfer Rat Creek.

Give the Nelson way a try next time. thumbs_up.gif

Rat creek takes you right to the sweet spot. YJ looks pretty good but I haven't been up it. I have done the Edwards Platuea route and Rat creek is faster.

I know the route that will let you avoid all but two short bushwhacks.

Must offer beer or carry both the rack and the rope to get the beta.

This time of year it does require some trespassing.

The last time I went up Hook Creek drainage I almost died. There are hooks on all of the downed trees and they seem to reach out and grab any bare skin. When I get to the top my entire body is covered in soot from wrestling with the trees on the way up. I am sceared to drink the water cause I think Tina has pooped in it a few times.

Rat creek takes you right to the sweet spot. YJ looks pretty good but I haven't been up it. I have done the Edwards Platuea route and Rat creek is faster.

I know the route that will let you avoid all but two short bushwhacks.

Must offer beer or carry both the rack and the rope to get the beta.

This time of year it does require some trespassing.

Hell, no need for beer. I'll just spill it. You go left at that one tree, you know the one with the brownish bark, and when you get near those bushie thingies, just head due east until you reach that one spot, then due south, but make sure you hike upwards in that direction until you hit the plateau. PM me for the beta for the bushie thingie move...There, the cat's out of the bag.

Tough crowd.

Especially for a bunch of posers.

You don't have to trespass if you can cross the creek without the bridge downstream.

Here comes the cat.

Start your upwardness left of the main drainage in the first obvious gully that gets you above the first cliff band (up about 800 ft). Then traverse right sidehilling to the rocky bench in the bottom of the drainage (shouldn't have to lose any elevation except when you cross Rat creek). Follow the opening to its close and continue straight up through mellow trees and slabs. When you get to the Talus, bear left and gain the top of the slabs (there is only one easy way (obvious gulley)). Head right up the slabs and bear right to the top of the shoulder. From here traverse down a bit to the bottom of the alder patch where it is much narrower. Cross that and continue up to the base of the cliff. Follow the game path that goes right along the base of the cliffs to the top.

Bring me a beer.