Summit Camping

erikwilker

Gator, or anyone out there who definitively knows:

Are we allowed to camp in the summit crater or between the Columbia Crest and the Liberty Cap?

I know that the first few teams of Rainier summiteers did this, but I wonder is if is now frowned upon or banned by park officials.

Would we have to register for this in any way other than the standard climbing permits and camp reservations?

I really hope this is possible. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Erik

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was how it was two years ago....I assume it is still the same. I pulled a permit to camp there, but my friend got REALLY sick on the Ingraham (not altitude, a stomach thing - puking green as green can be) so we turned around. Always wanted to cam,p upt here and explore the ice caves.

Good Luck

yup, you can get a permit for the summit, few people do however.

here's some cheap advice. spend 2 nights on top. the reason i suggest this is that you're usually too tired from the climb and other mountaineering chores to do too much exploring the day you arrive. if you spend the entire next day on top, it allows for plenty of lounging AND summit cave exploration... additionally, you could visit liberty cap and point success, which really aren’t “short walks”...

i also recommend camping in the crater. it offers MUCH MORE protection than camping on the "col" between the summit and liberty cap.

personally, i have enjoyed watching many incredible sunsets from the summit. it's pretty amazing to see the entire puget sound light up at dusk as the sun slips behind the olympic mountains. 2 years ago, i watched wild fires burn across parts of eastern washington... once, we watched 4th of july fire-work shows across the puget sound; another time, we watched 1,000’s of lightning strikes over easten washington… it's a pretty nice view up there...