Rainier Summits the last few days?

Eric_taylor

Has anyone reached the summit of Rainier in last few days? Or does anyone have any reports? The weather was so great! I bet the Ingraham Direct route was excellent. Also, can people get up to Muir without snow shoes? I tried calling Mt. Rainier services, but they just have an answering service right now. I am going the next time the weather is excellent like we just had. I did see the report by glennm about the ledges. Excellent report.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Eric taylor ]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we skied up to Muir yesterday and it was amazing. There was only one person trying to summit and there had been 8-10 who had tried to summit since Sunday. We skied a 40 degree chute down onto the Nisqually- conditions were pretty stable. If anyone is interested in trying to summit the next good weather window let me know!

Update -- I called down there today (Longmire) and the guy I spoke with said that there's been a foot of new snow at paradise the last week, so travel up to Muir w/o snowshoes or skiis would be pretty difficult. No information about the upper mountain; the chief climbing ranger, Steve Winslow, is out this week, and Mike G. isn't around either.

The gate at Longmire is unlocked around 9:00 am, and is locked to uphill traffic by 6:30 PM, and to downhill traffic around 8:00.

Weather forecast looks pretty decent for the weekend. I think we'll be making a go of Gib tomorrow. I believe there are still no limit restrictions at Muir until June 1st. Can anyone else confirm that? I think we just self-register at Paradise and truck on up. Good lord am I gettin' excited... Climbing season here we come.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/getproduct.pl?SEASEARECSEA